Magazine MRJ Thread

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
You can't leave us hanging like that Graham, thats almost as bad as not mentioning them at all :D

The common factor is the Webster name... creating the 7mm GWR wagon kits circa 1980 and now the 7mm GWR autocoach... both important stepping stones in their respective genre.

Simon

Flying Squad
The common factor is the Webster name... creating the 7mm GWR wagon kits circa 1980 and now the 7mm GWR autocoach... both important stepping stones in their respective genre.

Yes indeed, I wish I could tempt him to invest in some 1/32 projects.....

The autocoach is a fantastic bit of kit, even before the improvements.

Simon

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I'm a bit late catching up with MRJ issue no. 212, only just got my copy.
I particulary liked Gordon Gravitt's article on the barge build, something I will be getting stuck into in the future for my "Bow Creek" project, and the 'Real Atmosphere' photo being right up my street:thumbs:..... or should that be creek:D

Enjoyed your weathering techniques Steve,top man:thumbs:
A nice spread of articles for beginers and experienced modelmakers I thought.

Interesting to re-visit Yaxsbury, full of atmosphere, I all ways find it interesting to see how layouts get developed over time.
I think one of the best issues in a while.
And will the guy on the rear cover advertising Road Transport Images please, please start producing some of those commercials in 1:43.5 scale:thumbs::D

ATB, Col

djparkins

Western Thunderer
He'd certainly get some takers and with Classic Commercials not being on the web and in danger of disapearing he'd have the field to himself.

Col

Yes - but the CC kits are in a totally different league to those. There is nothing really on the market to touch them.

I waited nearly three years to get a price from the previous owner for the CC range but its just a shame that I had to refuse the offer when it finally came, due to the inordinate amount of stock he wanted to make part of the deal. It came to more in value than the patterns and tooling [!!!] - which is all I really wanted as I could have produced it all on a more cost-effective/efficient basis. It would have all been back out & available online by now - oh well!

David Parkins
Modern Motive Power

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Yes - but the CC kits are in a totally different league to those. There is nothing really on the market to touch them.

I waited nearly three years to get a price from the previous owner for the CC range but its just a shame that I had to refuse the offer when it finally came, due to the inordinate amount of stock he wanted to make part of the deal. It came to more in value than the patterns and tooling [!!!] - which is all I really wanted as I could have produced it all on a more cost-effective/efficient basis. It would have all been back out & available online by now - oh well!
David Parkins
Modern Motive Power

David,
Yep, a real shame you couldn't get the CC range, I agree that there is nothing to touch these models I just know in the back of my brain what's going to happen :headbang:
I have often thought of scratch building vehicles, which I would enjoy, but finding the relevent info. and dimensions seems difficult unless you have a prototype close to hand.

ATB, Col

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Just catching up with MRJ no.s 213 & 214.
In 213 good to see an S7 loco featured, and enjoyed the second half of Gordon Gravitts superb barge. Mike Baker throws in an alternative technique, I thought, using dishwasher salt granules for producing a rusting steel open.
Also enjoyed the article and architectural drawing by Ralf Burrows on an "Arts & Crafts" style lodge, got to be one of my favourite era's for buildings and furniture.

On to issue 214, and a work in progress by Geoff Kent with Black Lion Crossing a superb example of 4mm modelling, his buildings and road vehicles are amongst the best in this scale.
Something I found curious was the article on GWR fencing using EZ Line particularly the footnote stating that after some years the filament has become brittle and failed.
Now this is a product that I had thought of using for telegraph wires etc. not sure know ?
Upper Yard in 7mm I found interesting although I would like to have seen some colour shots.

ATB, Col.

28ten

Guv'nor
I picked up 215, and it has an excellent piece on BNS signal box by Jim S-W, seeing the pictures in print it really is a cracking model. Portchullin also features, although I think i prefer the b&w photos to the colour shots.
There is an article on block instruments, but I'm afraid that went over my head :oops:. My personal perception is that the magazine is back on the 'up' after becoming rather moribund a few years ago.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
My personal perception is that the magazine is back on the 'up' after becoming rather moribund a few years ago.

Glad to say that I agree with you on the MRJ content.... even though my favourite article was printed in 1988!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Patrick Reardon.... cut and paste of Slater's GWR coach kits. This pair of articles showed what was possible in the way of creating new diagrams from existing parts. Whilst Patrick never finished the series... part three was intended to be a tri-comp brake.... the concept was taken forward by others, for example Richard De Camin and Jim Snowdon. One possibility which Richard worked out was to use the C10 Clerestory plus the U4 four-wheel to produce a F10 double ended slip coach..... one day.

I have been working through a similar exercise to take the sides from the V5 four wheel brake... the underframe from the C10.... add some plastic sheet and produce a K15 (the Dean 40' PBV with corridor connection). Just as soon as I have done some trackwork for Hartley Hill and for The Rookery then that idea ought to take off.

regards, Graham

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Interesting diversion. For me, the most memorable (at least for now until I remember the next most memorable) article was Jim Snowdon's on reducing the 32mm track gauge to get better looking pointwork. It was like a light bulb going on.

And if you see the threads on RMWeb and the GOG site, still causing grief!

Richard

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes I remember the articles, and I tried it myself - with total failure :)) obviously operator error. I must admit given todays technology its not the way i would approach it now, given 3d printing is quicker and more accurate ( for me at least). I suspect that we are touching on the 'Is using a computer modelling?' can o' worms with that though :cool:
One of my favourites in a similar vein was Monty Wells twin set, another cut and shut, but hugely influential to me at the time. Actually, all the early MRJ's had a profound impact on my modelling, as i was reading them at a time when i was progressing from toys to models, or maybe the progression was because i was reading MRJ?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Interesting diversion. For me, the most memorable ..... article was Jim Snowdon's on reducing the 32mm track gauge to get better looking pointwork.
And if you see the threads on RMWeb and the GOG site, still causing grief!

I think that Jim and the Hillingdon modellers had a similar light bulb moment - the relevant MRJ article on East Dean describes the confusion that resulted from having several track gauges... of different gauge... during the track laying of that layout!!!!!!!!!

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Actually, all the early MRJ's had a profound impact on my modelling, as i was reading them at a time when i was progressing from toys to models, or maybe the progression was because i was reading MRJ?

Surely that is the point... the articles which are memorable are those which were influential on one's approach to modelling. OK, to add to MRJ 24m and 28... the description of the building of the East Suffolk for the photographs. The various articles on track building with individual components for showing how to construct track and S&C work which was prototypical in appearance. Bucks Hill for showing what a group of like-minded people could achieve (and now substitute Retford for Bucks Hill).

regards, Graham