Magazine MRJ Thread

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I spotted this - with something approaching disbelief.

I thought some of the photographs of Hedingham were corkers, and generally enjoyed the magazine - the only one I subscribe to. Maybe not much in the way of narrative inspiration, but plenty of food for thought in the pictures.

Richard

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Comparing the photos in the Journal with those he posted in the 7mm egroup files I'd agree that there does appear to be a lack of vibrancy in the printed copy with a reduction in contrast, a shift to the red spectrum and the whole lot desaturated by several degrees. Maybe it was a concious editorial decision to minimise the clean look as the digital files accentuate the clean look considerably.

The rant was a bit of a classic 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' though :D

On Ellerton Road - I was talking to one of the S4 Soc. bods a few days ago, and the ex-works look was apparently the subject of much talk after it's recent visit to S4um. It makes an interesting comparison with the 4mm layouts on show:

http://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4um2011/index.html

S

Simon Dunkley

Having been told that this was an "elitist" journal, my first impression of the
MRJ was one of real disappointment.

For them to claim that they are the best leaves me wondering where they are
looking. I have seen far better reproduction in, what their editors describe as,
"the comics" - Railway Modeller and BRM. The reproduction in those two are far
and above those of this "elistist" journal. And, I must add here, the
reproduction in the GOG Gazette absolutely blows away this "top rated" journal.
I have quoted those paragraphs as I am mystified by them.

Firstly, there is a difference between trying to improve oneself and being elitist, although it does seem that to the majority in the hobby, the two are synonymous: why use this word at all, unless you are unhappy to accept that you could do better, but don't want to? (If you are happy not to push yourself, then all power to your elbow as far as I am concerned, as you won't criticise others who wish to try harder.)

On the second one, I have never seen RM and BRM referred to as "comics" by the "editors" of MRJ. I use this word myself, but I use it also for MRJ. Then again, I am not an editor of MRJ.*

OK, so he feels that the printing of the photos was a disappointment, and fair enough on that score, but that is no reason for the rest of the garbage! The photos whet my appetite for more; knowing that they could be even better is even more mouth watering.

Hohum.

*"I have always tried to do right and be good, so that God would not make me [an] editor." - Mark Twain.

28ten

Guv'nor
Yes. I did see that :) I do agree with Adrian about the desaturation and the black and white photos seemed better, but hey ho keyboard warriors ;) I found some of the later points about editorial independence and reviews interesting.

JimG

Western Thunderer
Im confused, what is a 7mm layout doing at s4um :confused:

I think they have guest layouts in other scales - they had an S scale layout last year. Chris Challis has been doing this for years with the S4 South West show at RailWells.

On the matter of to weather or not to weather and the reference to Ellerton Road, I think I remember a discussion on the Scale7 Group some years ago where it was reckoned that weathered stock did not attract as good prices as showroom finished models when they were sold. This attitude may have changed now since there is now a great interest in good weathering.

Jim.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Colour in MRJ has never really hit the mark consistently, in my opinion; weird because Wild Swan do some exquisite mono illustrations, particularly when it comes to works on the prototype. However I'm not sure that the photogahic reproduction is cause of all ills. I had thought that Heddingham was a four mil layout looking at the cover till I clocked the distinctive tie bar cover of the Peco point. I wonder if it's one of those layouts that so envelopes one with its sense of loveliness when looking at it first hand that the mind edits out its minor imperfections. But as we all know point a camera at a model and all the warts become horrifically obvious. The photographers rant being driven by this mismatch between how he perceives the layout with his eyes and the results through the camera lens. I like taking landscape photos, and though I'm a bungling amateur I know that a pretty view often makes a pants photo.

On a more positive note I thought this issue was worth the cover price for Burford alone. Anyone else notice the impressively restrained backscene that really gives the effect of distance and the understated track along the embankment at the front edge. It was this article that set off my thoughts here, though strangely Burford seems to be one of those rare layouts that gets better and more intriguing as it progresses.

Purple-haze

Western Thunderer
I,ve not bought MRJ regularly since issue 100, but have to say,from a laymans pov,the colour poster of Hursley I still find inspirational:thumbs: Did anyone else go to the MRJ exhibition all those years ago?

regards

Rog

28ten

Guv'nor
I got there, saw the queue and went back home, probably just as well as I believe it was packed inside and it would have taken fair while to get in.

bogusman

Western Thunderer
Yes Rog myself and Dan Randall were fortunate enough to be asked if we would be stewards at the show of coarse we reluctantly agreed:D:D:D. As for the rant about the people involved with the MRJ referring to other magazines as comics and that the MRJ is elitist is totally without foundation as I have known some of these people involved with this magazine for years and they have embraced all aspects of our hobby and have encouraged kit manufacturers over the years to produce some excellent products which I am sure would not of come to fruition and our hobby would of been poorer off for it . Maybe the gentleman concerned should read the editorial in MRJ 0 as he has obviously forgot what the magazines ethos was set out to achieve and the spirit of which the publishers have maintained since 1985. I also wonder if this gentleman has any Wild Swan publications in his possession as surely by association he is himself now an a elitist. As I have mentioned before on this thread that I did not think that the latest MRJ was the best but I will still keep buying it as I still find that there are article's that I find totally inspirational. I am sorry if this is a bit of a rant as this is totally out of character for me but it does get my gander up when people seem quite happy to use the elitist card when things dont go their way. I also think this is the longest I have written since joining Western Thunder!!!!!!

Pete

Purple-haze

Western Thunderer
IIRC it took me about 3 HOURS to get in,and yes, it was heaving,but I did get to see everything on show.It was quite surreal really,you all kept moving like a human glacier,passing slowly each layout,even going up some steps to view Hursly, shuffling past and then
down the other side:rolleyes:

regards

Rog

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
I,ve not bought MRJ regularly since issue 100, but have to say,from a laymans pov,the colour poster of Hursley I still find inspirational:thumbs: Did anyone else go to the MRJ exhibition all those years ago?
Sadly not, I was only 12 at the time, so was probably a bit young to have appreciated it anyway. Hursley did inspire me, however, I knew that I'd do 7mm scale at some point having seen it at that tender age and the November 1990 Railway Modeller remains one of my most treasured possessions.

All of this Hursley nostalgia has prompted me to dig it out and take a look through the article - it just confirm how ahead of its time it was. It wouldn't look out of place at any finescale exhibition today, let alone 20 years ago! I still find it inspirational today, although now it gives me something to aim at.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Off Topic (sorry)

...snip... November 1990 Railway Modeller remains one of my most treasured possessions.

All of this Hursley nostalgia has prompted me to dig it out ...snip.

Just bought the very same RM on ebay to act as a companion to the issue 40 of MRJ that featured Hursley. Between those two and the colour shots in Martyn's book, I'm wondering if there is any other printed matter that includes photos of Hursley? Any hints appreciated....

Cookie (also having a 'Hursley moment')

/Off Topic

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Out of interest, did the article in MRJ 40 include a track plan? I don't recall ever seeing one.

I don't think there is much in the way of published material about Hursley at all, I've certainly never found anything about it on the Internets. I'd also be interested in know if it was featured anywhere else.