Magazine MRJ Thread

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Out of interest, did the article in MRJ 40 include a track plan? I don't recall ever seeing one.

It did indeed, two infact! One showed the whole railway scheme as envisaged (including the aircraft factory) with a hatched area showing the part that the model represented, the other showed the track plan on the baseboard shapes and how they fitted into the garage. There are no dimensions on either plan, but I think one could reasonably estimate the size of Hursley as the garage it nearly fills was 18' x 9'.
I don't think there is much in the way of published material about Hursley at all, I've certainly never found anything about it on the Internets. I'd also be interested in know if it was featured anywhere else.

My internet trawling has revealed very little either :(

Cookie

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Martyn's work hasn't appeared in other magazines. There are very good reasons for that, and I respect his decision enormously...and just to knock any doubt on the head, it's got nothing whatsoever to do with elitism on his part, but is instead a very honourable decision. The RM article was an exception as that magazine wanted to help publicise the MRJ show.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I must admit that when Hursley was first seen it did turn every thing on it's head. Since then I believe there has been an expectation from certain quarters for layouts to come up to the same standard when shown in MRJ.
The same goes for loco's and rolling stock.
I don't personaly believe that should be the case, maybe there has been some items that should not have been published in MRJ, but surley this mag should be all about improving our model making, articles that help modellers build better models and I suppose it don't help the mag's status?( not sure if that's the right term) when you get somebodys work shown that to the majority of readers does'nt quite hit the spot.

I have seen layouts published that have loads of gaff's like missing rail chairs or the wrong chairs, no catch or trap points and I wont rant on about missing detail on loco's etc that stick out like sore thumbs and as for weathering.........:headbang::D.

We are all at different levels of skill and capabilities, we need more mag's like MRJ showing techniques and crafts of modellers for modellers, but what we don't need is for these mag's to go backwards and show bloody rubbish which will only mislead those trying to better there own skills.

Col.

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm now up to about no. 75 on my splendid "MRJfest" and have discovered some more gems. The Manning Wardle "project" was an inspired idea and I can imagine getting thoroughly involved in such a venture, although I'd want to do it in 1/32 which means it'll never appear anywhere:( A lot of the articles are very thought provoking, I particularly like Jack Ray's thoughts on realism that I read this morning - "all in the mind" from issue 72 in 1994.

On a different subject, but mindful of Bob Barlow's editorship of MRJ until issue 100, have you heard the news from Roy Link?

Announced in the latest issue of NG&IRM is that from next issue Bob Barlow takes over the editorship.

I had already noticed a good number of recent articles from Tim Shackleton and although Bob Barlow says things will broadly stay the same I bet they don't. He does mention there being more standard gauge modelling in the future and I think develoments are going to be very interesting. All else apart, Bob's writing style is quite different to Roy's.

Simon

Hopefully it will remain true to modelling rather than box opening:p

Alan

Western Thunderer
I went to the MRJ show and did not see Hurley. I thought being asked to queue up inside the exhibition (wait was 30 mins +) after queueing for over an hour all round Central hall was a bit much.

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
I went to the MRJ show and did not see Hurley. I thought being asked to queue up inside the exhibition (wait was 30 mins +) after queueing for over an hour all round Central hall was a bit much.

It did seem a bit OTT but then again, it did ensure some sort of fairness and that all who wanted to see it could do so. After travelling 200 miles, there was no way I was dipping out of that; I also paid (IIRC) 40p for a can out of a machine in the hall, which was way more than I was used to back home:D

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
It's just cost me £4 including postage, which seems alright to me!

So, what did you think then Pugs? I don't know when you started buying MRJ regularly, but if you haven't already got it, Martyn's article on his next layout "Monks Eleigh" (issue 106 from 1998), is well worth a look too!

Regards

Dan

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Martyn's article on his next layout "Monks Eleigh" (issue 106 from 1998), is well worth a look too!

Regards

Dan

Co-incidently Monks Eleigh is now owned by a client for who I have built a couple of loco's. I understand that he's having a purpose built garage with room for said layout.

Col.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
So, what did you think then Pugs? I don't know when you started buying MRJ regularly, but if you haven't already got it, Martyn's article on his next layout "Monks Eleigh" (issue 106 from 1998), is well worth a look too
It was £4 well spent - you were right Steve! It's a very interesting article, with a lot more info than in the RM issue and some superb photography.

Thanks for the tip Dan, I'll keep an eye out for that one, I didn't start regularly getting MRJ until issue 180 something, so comparatively recently.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the tip Dan, I'll keep an eye out for that one, I didn't start regularly getting MRJ until issue 180 something, so comparatively recently.

It's a pleasure Pugs and in case you're interested (and didn't know about it), there's an index of all the issues published to date here:

http://www.modelrailwayjournal.com/

A browse at the contents of each issue as and when you get a moment, might well identify other things of interest to you.

Regards

Dan

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I went to a NG show in Swanley a couple of weekends back, and saw the first 100 editions of MRJ for £45...

If only I'd had the room for them... Aaarrrrghhh!

JB.

Simon

Flying Squad
Issue 212 to hand, edited by Barry Norman and a good issue I think.

Some good practical stuff on cleaning up etched from Laurie Griffin, a neat gizmo for in situ drilling out for pinpoint bearings for you small scale chappies, another look at Yaxbury, a really nicely presented article on Jerry Clifford's "Highbury Colliery", brake vans from Karl Crowther, an axle jig, North Devon bargef rom Gordon Gravett and some sublime weathering of a gauge three LNWR wagon by some young blade going by the name of Steve Cook:thumbs:

Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
And what has been omitted from that summary? Two bits on important models to the evolution of 7mm rolling stock.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I was pretty pleased with this issue too. I always enjoy seeing what Gordon Gravett has been up to and although this time it's non-railway, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Regards

Dan

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
... some sublime weathering of a gauge three LNWR wagon by some young blade going by the name of Steve Cook
Easy :oops: I haven't seen the article yet, there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between myself and Barry last year so whilst I'm aware he has made some edits, it'll be a nice surprise to see which photos he included.

And what has been omitted from that summary? Two bits on important models to the evolution of 7mm rolling stock.
You can't leave us hanging like that Graham, thats almost as bad as not mentioning them at all :D