7mm On Heather's workbench - a trio of JLTRT Mk2s

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
We can stand down the quest for a reliable plan. The Harris book has dimensioned views of a Mk2C BSO which has allowed me to gauge the location of the vents on the roof. The drawings are a shade under 2mm/1ft scale, and any errors in rounding up to 7mm scale were "adjusted" using the Mk1 Eyeball and reference to the location against doors and windows.

The next stage is to work out the size of the Roe-Vac vent. I know Tom has been working towards 3D printing of such beasts, but I think I shall attempt fabrication from plastic. I need six of the things in all, and I think I can get away without excessive fidelity as long as they look about right. Bear in mind the JLTRT castings for the traditional vents are all a bit iffy as well.

Such a pity more thought isn't given to such details by the manufacturers. Even at 7mm scale, the most obvious feature of most models is the roof.

I'll post images of how I get on later.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The drawings are a shade under 2mm/1ft scale, and any errors in rounding up to 7mm scale were "adjusted" using the Mk1 Eyeball...
I thought that you used the "British Standard Adjuster" in your Mk.1 topic... for these coaches you maybe should have taken the upgrade to the "CE Mk.2 Adjuster" for correct placement of fittings.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I thought that you used the "British Standard Adjuster" in your Mk.1 topic... for these coaches you maybe should have taken the upgrade to the "CE Mk.2 Adjuster" for correct placement of fittings.

I find the Mk1 Eyeball more reliable for this kind of thing. Closing the spare one helps, too. ;)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Some ventilators.

IMG_4958.jpg

A trifle crude, but more or less the same size.

IMG_4960.jpg

If - when? - something better comes along, these lumps can be pinged off and replaced.

IMG_4961.jpg

They really don't bear close inspection. :(

I think that's all for my modelling efforts today. I really would like to get painting, but until the temperature begins to approach positive double digits I'm not venturing into the upstairs workshop.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
In the cold light of morning, and with new information, I am going to try another tack on the ventilators. The crude lumps I came up with yesterday are not up to scratch. They're not even worthy of being called bodgetastic.

Before I start, though, I think I'll vacuum the workbench and area. It's become quite messy.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
The new info was some better photos with dimensions in view which Tom sent over. I printed them out, and worked out some other dimensions which have been scribbled on the print.

From that, I've found nearly suitable strip in my plastic stock, and after a bit of filing I ended up with this:

IMG_4963.jpg

It's a bit closer to the right shape, while it doesn't have the smooth joins of the real thing. I shall keep fettling it with sharp things until I am happier with the shape, and then make another five...

I'll be the one over in the corner, dribbling. :confused::p

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
It's a bit closer to the right shape... I shall keep fettling it with sharp things until I am happier with the shape, and then make another five...

I'll be the one over in the corner, dribbling. :confused::p

Well done Heather, using pre-sized strip to produce some of the features is a good idea. I now know where to go when I need some vents for the coaches which Peter is bound to buy (to go with his recent acquisition of a vacuum sweeper).

Dribbling? Nah, "Drooling" from the audience, unless you were thinking about "gibberishing" which comes on as a result of too much manpulation of tiny specs of nothingness.

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Heather, is it worth resin casting from one of these?

It would be, and I certainly entertained the possibility, but I don't have access to such facilities.

As I only need six vents for this build - provided Richard doesn't decide he wants the other style of vent after discovering there were two types on Mk2Cs - I wonder if I could make a suitable mould and use epoxy glue?

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Heather, pose the question for there are several WTers who do resin casting...

I realise that. It's just timescales that worry me. I can spend the rest of today happily filing plastic and have five more similarly-shaped vents.

Of course, if someone would like to take on the challenge, I'll make a master that can be used for a production run that others may benefit from. Perhaps we can even persuade ABS to make metal ones. :thumbs:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Of course, if someone would like to take on the challenge, I'll make a master that can be used for a production run that others may benefit from.
That is just so; I do not have any knowledge of either pattern making or resin casting, the idea of self help within this band of modellers is encouraging.

regards, Graham

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
A long gap since the last update, sadly.

Today, finally, I have started to get blue on the sides. :)

I had an idea last night, as I drifted off to sleep. It concerns making the paint masking, and I'll describe it in more detail later. Right now, all I can say - after a nice chat with Mr Beare earlier helped clear up a few points - is the idea seems to have a good deal of merit. :thumbs:

I'm in the middle of getting a coat of blue on one of the SOs. I hope it'll be dry enough to clear the odd dust specks off it and another coat this evening. Piccies tomorrow, I promise.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
So, what's this brilliant idea I came up with all about then?

Our brethren in the plastic aeromodelling world have had access to precut paint masks for ages. Essentially these are thin plastic sheet with a low tack adhesive backing, designed to make it a doddle to paint canopies and wheels. You pop the cut part out, stick it on your model, squirt paint all over it, and remove the mask when dry. They're a use-once deal. They are discarded after use, unless you're careful and canny.

Anyway, I got to wondering how I might replicate the idea for the masking on these pesky coaches. After the failed attempt with traditional masking tape - although that was more down to the paint than the masking, since I have used the same technique on previous coaches painted with an airbrush - I needed something that would be happy to remain in situ during the painting process, but crucially not risk peeling the masked paint off when it was removed.

As I dozed off to sleep, pondering the next morning's workbench duties, I thought "how about aluminium cooking foil and Spraymount?"

Here's the reasoning: Spraymount (in the blue cans) is meant to be a temporary fixative. Residue can be cleaned off later with lighter fluid. The amount of tack on a hard surface should be sufficient to hold the mask in place yet let it be removed with minimal damage after the unmasked area has dried. The ally foil is forgiving enough that, with care, it can be wheedled into the nooks and crannies around hinges, corrosion strips, window frames and so on, and give a nice crisp edge to the masked area.

Nothing for it, but an experiment.

Next day, out came the calculator, a roll of kitchen foil, a sharp scalpel and a straight edge long enough to trim out a length of foil.

The panel to be masked is, by my calculations, 442mm long and 27mm wide. I marked out the panel ends and top edge on the coach side. The top edge above the window frames on the JLTRT MK2B/C bodies is 2mm wide, so I marked halfway. Fine pencil lines showed where the mask was to fit. 27mm let the masked area fit down to the bottom of the commode handles, which is what I got wrong last time. :oops:

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

One potential snag with cutting foil is, well, snags. It's easy for the blade to catch the foil and tear instead of slicing. Getting a nice square edge to start with was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Once I had a datum, I could measure 27mm off and slap an 18in ruler down across the width of the roll. In this case, the roll was long enough for a bit of excess each end of the mask, which was handy as will become apparent later. Cutting with the blade held at a low angle in short passes, while firmly holding the straight edge to prevent the foil snagging, and I soon had a couple of strips trimmed out.

IMG_4978.jpg

I had just got a coat of Spraymount on them, when Mr "Barking" Beare called. We had a nice chat about life, the universe, and using aluminium foil for masking purposes. He reminded me that as I worked the foil around details it would shrink in a linear fashion by a small amount. To counter this, I suggested I would split the oversize length of the strip into three, and stick the end pieces on first allowing the third panel to overlap across the centre.

Anyway, would you believe it? It only worked!

IMG_4981.jpg

First, the strip was stuck to the cutting mat, aligned along the grid lines to be reasonably square. I nicked out 45 degree corners, which will be filled in later as the radiused corners, on one end.

With the mat hard against the edge of the bench, I used an engineering square to mark off straight cuts for the three panels. I used a body side to align the trim marks with spaces between windows, so no overlap would occur across a window or door panel.

IMG_4979.jpg

Carefully lifting each trimmed strip, I aligned them on the side. I then set about with a cotton bud to gently push the foil into the contours as best as possible, and to ensure the edges were stuck down to avoid too much paint creeping under them.

IMG_4982.jpg

Eventually, one whole side was masked. If anything, the entire process took less time than using masking tape. Any areas where the foil was punctured, such as across hinges, could be covered with a dob of masking fluid. As it happened, I managed to avoid any punctures. :thumbs:

IMG_4984.jpg

With one coach masked, I disappeared into the "booth" to get a test coat of blue on.

IMG_4974.jpg

You may recall references to the Advanced Paint Drying Facility (aka our airing cupboard)? Well, getting damp body sides down the loft ladder and into the APDF is tricky, so I have tended to leave them to dry sufficiently before transporting. This time, I came up with a wheeze.

We have an electric oil heater I use to keep the cold at bay when working up in the 'shop. With the plastic lid from the "booth" going spare (usually used as a cover to avoid grollies dropping on wet paint), it was positioned in such a way it caught the warmed convection from the heater. Behold! APDF Quick Drying Unit:

IMG_4972.jpg

Using this lash-up, sides not only got dried fairly quickly, but also warmed up. This means, as any regular airbrusher knows, subsequent coats go on and dry almost as soon as they hit the side. Well, not exactly, but you get the idea. The whole painting process is speeded up no end.

Anyway, the first sides were left overnight (with the heater off) to harden. Checking them this morning, and I saw that it was good. Apart from one or two dust specks, the masking worked a treat.

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

Here is the scene after this morning's efforts on one SO and the BSO, and some remedial work on the ends. They have since had a further coat or two, and are about the right depth of colour now. The second SO will get a faded blue finish, just to be different.

Inevitably there will be sneaky bits of blue paint under the masking. I am prepared for that, and I know full well that some careful brush retouching will need to take place, probably while I'm putting the white line on.

We're getting perilously close to being able to fit glazing and put bodies together! :eek::drool:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather, every so often along comes someone with a new idea, a new approach, to solving a perennial and wide ranging problem. You have just added to the repertoire of WT dodges, bodging of the highest order, :bowdown: .

Worthy of "a ten from Len".

For your next challenge, lining and lettering of a GWR 70' Concertina double ended slip... in 7mm... in Lake.

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Why thank you, Mr B!

I feel I wouldn't be able to do a 70' Concertina justice, so I will have to pass up that particular offer. ;)

Of course, the proof of concept will be when the masking is removed - and the original grey paint is still in situ...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Heather, in what order did you do things? OK - I have had the benefit of discussing the process with you yesterday and so on first reading of your post I nodded in all of the appropriate places and then went for a Bonio (other brands of biscuits are available). On re-reading the missive the thought occured to me that the text might not be clear as to when the spraymount was applied to the foil... before cutting / after cutting.

After the conversation yesterday I went to investigate the Art Supplies in the house (aka "Ann's Craft(y) Cupboard") and noticed that some "spraymount" cans are marked as permanent and some are marked as re-postionable... with different colour labels for the different levels of sticky grip - which brand / type have you used?

regards, etc., etc., etc..

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I cut the foil before applying the Spraymount. Handling a roll of foil is hard enough at times without it also being sticky on one side!

The can I am using is the 3M Spraymount repositionable. It's in a blue can with a blue top. If memory serves, if it's a brown can and lid it's Photomount, which is intended to be repositionable for a short time and then becomes permanent. I wouldn't recommend using that one for masking... ;)

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I am really impressed I tried to mask up a coach many moons ago and totally buggered it up but that looks a much simpler way of doing it