7mm Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back (again) to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Progress continues albeit I haven't moved the door handrail yet. While preparing the front buffer beam I made the discovery that I had soldered the wrong buffer shanks on the tender :headbang: :headbang: Not a problem just a simple unsoldering job, except that I have primed and painted the tender with it's first coat of green :headbang: :headbang:

After trying unsuccessfully with my 40 watt iron to loosen them without disturbing the paint too much I steeled myself for using the microflame. Having opened the window, put the extractor on and shut the door to contain the smell of burning paint, I was pleasantly surprised that they came off without any burning of the paint even where the flame had been in direct contact - one in the favour of acrylics :thumbs: :thumbs:

Attachments

• A3 Papyrus 001.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 001.JPG
    164.7 KB · Views: 15
  • A3 Papyrus 005.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 005.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 14
  • A3 Papyrus 007.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 007.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 15
  • A3 Papyrus 003.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 003.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 14
  • A3 Papyrus 004.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 004.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 13

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham said:
(I await the "they would have fit if you had built it in S7" cry!!! )

Sure would have done!!!  ;D ;D ;D 

One day soon you will see the benefit; when the choice is S7 or the dark side at least we have seen the light  :thumbs:

If you are going to follow Spearmint in regard to the brake shaft etc., then take care in the arrangement of the front spring hanger bolt (of the front spring) and the brake shaft bearing brackets - the spring hanger bolt passes through the bracket with the weight adjustment nut under that bracket.  Christian has modelled this correctly.

Just be glad that this is not an A4 for that shaft would then require three cranks rather than two.

I do like the appearance of the buffer cases, much improved with the nuts from Scale Hardware.

regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the encouragement Mike, seeing that the weather is Cr** here in Wakefield I hope to have the rest of the bodywork complete today - famous last words :shit: :shit:

Dog Star said:
If you are going to follow Spearmint in regard to the brake shaft etc., then take care in the arrangement of the front spring hanger bolt (of the front spring) and the brake shaft bearing brackets - the spring hanger bolt passes through the bracket with the weight adjustment nut under that bracket.  Christian has modelled this correctly.
regards, Graham
Hi Graham, I had taken a note of the arrangement through various comments made on Christian's thread (possibly made by yourself). Despite having the front hangers from Ragstone, because I have elected rightly or wrongly to use the Ragstone springs as they are (in their slightly too long state).

To remedy that I have taken the DJH representations of the hangers and added some brass tube to the inside to give them a bit more relief than the flat etch. These then slide down between the frames and the springs (in a half etch slot designed for them) creating a similar effect as the castings. The photos show it better than I can describe it.

Attachments

• A3 Papyrus 001.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 001.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 14
  • A3 Papyrus 002.JPG
    A3 Papyrus 002.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 14

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Rob,

You're hard work is really paying off there, a cracking job so far and i'm looking forward to seeing her finished off in fully lined Apple Green  :thumbs: :thumbs:

ATB Mick

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mick,
I am onto the home straight with the body work now. I moved the smokebox door handrail and completed the pipe work on the oilers.

While talking to Graham off forum he suggested that it would be good if I explained the reasoning behind choosing Papyrus out of the many A3's as my model. There are two quite simple reasons why I chose Papyrus. The first being that my good lady bought it with a corridor tender and Papyrus was one of the last to have a corridor tender before they went to the A4's allowing me to stretch my timeframe a bit. And the second being that I picked up a selection of etched pacific name/cabside plates at Halifax show last year from one of the many stalls that had rummage boxes (there didn't seem to be many this year unless I just missed them?) and Papyrus was amongst them, making it the perfect choice.

The others being Flying Fox, Melton, Sunstar and Flying Scotsman. Should anyone have a burning desire to build an A3 and any of these plates appeal then let me know.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham said:
While talking to Graham off forum he suggested that it would be good if I explained the reasoning behind choosing Papyrus.... . There are two quite simple reasons why I chose Papyrus. The first being that my good lady bought it with a corridor tender and Papyrus was one of the last to have a corridor tender.... .  And the second being that I picked up a selection of etched pacific name/cabside plates at Halifax show last year... and Papyrus was amongst them, making it the perfect choice.

Thanks Rob and nice to give credit to those who put up with our foibles.  For our intended layout the "names" are to be chosen from those engines which worked the prototype route or where allocated to the running sheds which were responsible for those workings.

Now, I wonder why Richard chose Diamond Jubilee?  Or why Christian chose Spearmint?

regards, Graham

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Dog Star said:
Now, I wonder why Richard chose Diamond Jubilee? 

regards, Graham

Hi Graham

My starting point was that I had no intention of doing an A3! - I'm mainly LMS/BR standards.

However, I picked it up as a job lot very cheaply (after getting rid of what I didn't want, we're talking a net £36) so it was a case of me and my bargains!

It unfortunately had a tender I didn't want, but I decided to build it anyway, only 5 of which ran behind A3s. With tender swaps, I had a choice of 6 locos, one of which was FS which I wouldn't ever do (a bit like Evening Star). None of the remaining names appealed to me, and DJ was the least unattractive!

So I have a loco I don't really want, with a tender I don't really like and a name that doesn't appeal. But it was cheap! I did, however, thorougly enjoy building it, even if it was a bit of a whim.

Bit of a funny tale really.

Yours

Richard

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Dog Star said:
  For our intended layout the "names" are to be chosen from those engines which worked the prototype route or where allocated to the running sheds which were responsible for those workings.
Hi Graham, nothing so sophisticated here! I buy loco's etc based on what prototypes take my fancy and to some degree my good lady's too (seeing as  quite a few are gifts) mainly with a North Eastern flavour but I do have three LMS locos and a WD to add variety.

I use the excuse that Wakefield was very much shared by the LNER and LMS (Kirkgate, one of the main stations being an example) and WD's were used in abundance in my locality.  When I get around to my layout it will be fictitious and loosely based in the Wakefield area.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Dikitriki said:
However, I picked it up as a job lot very cheaply (after getting rid of what I didn't want, we're talking a net £36) so it was a case of me and my bargains!

WOW that is a bargain :thumbs: :thumbs: I would have a struggle to turn down virtually any loco kit under similar circumstances, especially one from one of the better manufacturers like Martin Finney

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
After a few days of getting around to it (putting it off!!). This morning I finally got stuck in and finished all the pipework around the smoke box and reseated the whistle so the cab sat down OK. so until someone points out anything that I have missed that's it for the body work. Just waiting for the brake bits from Ragstone to sort the chassis.

Attachments

• 2750 Papyrus 002.JPG
    2750 Papyrus 002.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 2750 Papyrus 003.JPG
    2750 Papyrus 003.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2750 Papyrus 006.JPG
    2750 Papyrus 006.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 12

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Rob Pulham said:
I also took the plunge and started the MOK 8F - So far I have blackened the wheels and made up the compensation beams.

Hi Rob

Watch the interaction of the rear pair of compensation beams and the firebox where it joins the frames on the 8F. I had to, rather late in the day, file off/bend part of the firebox (not visible) to allow reasonable movement of the rear beams. It would have been much easier if I'd known beforehand!

Cheers

Richard

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Noted,  thanks Richard.
I do hope progress will be a bit quicker than the A3 but then I am going on holiday in just over a week so maybe not ;)

D1054

Western Thunderer
Lovely job, Rob. You're (almost 8)) inspiring me to switch from diesel to steam! My father's A3 is still in the pile of unfinished projects - "Salmon Trout" I believe she's destined to become - and those sleek lines are definitely pulling me towards the box of parts! ::)

Papyrus is taking shape really well..... :bowdown: :bowdown:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Cheers Ian, it's a shame that the light has caught the low melt around the smokebox door making it look a bit messy, it's virtually invisible in normal light.
I think you ought to give Salmon Trout a go, you know it makes sense :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :)) :))

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
It's been a while since I updated this as I was waiting for parts for the brake cross beams to arrive from Ragstone. They have now arrived as indeed has a second lot that I have ordered for the W1 so now I just need a day when I can concentrate and get the whole chassis assembled and running.

Watch this space!!

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Well 3 months later I have made some more progress on Papyrus - I think that my getting nearer to having the layout space that I want something besides Severn running to test it with.

I assembled the brakes ready for fitting to the chassis. I threaded the ends of the brake cross beams so that they can be removed if needs be. All the part's in the photo are Ragstone castings with the exception of the cylinders and the rear linkage rods that are 1mm brass rod with short sections of tube and 16BA nuts to create the turnbuckle type adjusters.

Papyrus Brakes 004.JPG

Papyrus Brakes 005.JPG

I have started on a couple of brackets to locate the brake cylinders, which are the last bits that I need before assembling it (I hope:confused: )