7mm Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back (again) to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Severn Finished at Last, it's even painted!

I think there is more chance of the warm place downstairs freezing over than me having half a DMU, but nice try Ian :)) :)) :thumbs: :thumbs:

T

Tinsnips

Rob , Nice weather so decided to run some goods trains.
The engine is new but not scratchbuilt unfortunately.
rgds
Graham Powell

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Rob Pulham said:
I think there is more chance of the warm place downstairs freezing over than me having half a DMU, but nice try Ian :)) :)) :thumbs: :thumbs:

Spoilsport mutter, mutter ,mutter

Ian

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Tinsnips said:
rgds
Graham Powell
It looks like you had a similar spot of weather to us, just the job for running trains. Nice to see an LNER van in the middle there Graham. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Whose kit is the 9F made from? It looks super,  I wonder how long they remained shiny like that in reality?

I have preliminary permission to do something in the garden but it will be next year or the year after before I get started.

Keep them coming it gives me something to look forward to. :drool:

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Tinsnips said:
rgds
Graham Powell

Very impressive Graham like it but the clip is too short got anymore

Ian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Rob Pulham said:
... while it is akin to garter blue (and I do intend an A4 in garter blue at some point) it is one of the Halfords spray cans I knew the S&MR had a blue livery so I just picked an attractive looking non metallic one from the Halfords range (originally destined for a Ford I think with out going out and looking at the can) ...
Rob; could I trouble you awfully, Sir, to go out and look at the can..?? That blue looks just the ticket for my next locos - could you tell me what name it actually is? Thanks! :bowdown: :bowdown:
Edit: Links to prototype pictures here and here. Note how the blue changes shade in different light, much as Rob's Severn has. What do fellow Thunderers think of the paint match?  :scratch:

As for building things that are outside our usual area of interest, surely "a change is as good as a rest"..?? It can be very refreshing to model something just for the fun of it, instead of getting so bogged down in something we lose the 'mojo'... (whatever that is!! :scratch:  :shit: ) so well done Rob - that little loco certainly has character - as well as a colour that pleases the majority on here..!! :)) :))

Dog Star

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
Rob; could I trouble you awfully, Sir, to go out and look at the can..?? That blue looks just the ticket for my next locos - could you tell me what name it actually is? Thanks! :

BLUE ? ? ? ?..... I think

T

Tinsnips

Hi Rob, The 9F is from a DJH kit and has the Delrin drive. I was not  too impressed with this one but now its going I quite like it. I'm not sure I have the return crank on one side in the right position. The engine pulls very well , stays on the track now I've sprung the pony truck  and is very quiet. The 8F failed with a broken coupling rod joint. Two minute job to do, two hours to get it adrift!. That sort of job. The NE van is cardboard. I got it cheap at a jumble sale.
I normally run the vans with the LNER brake van. The vans at the end are  a small train that runs behind a little pannier. There is also a clip of that on U Tube and an A4 pacific pulling the vans.
Try 7mm Scale Garden Railway- Goods trains.
There is anothe similar clip with two trains and proof that four coupled engines can pull lengthy trains.
try:-
The 9F and 8F are going over to the master weatherer i.e Fred Lewis sometime.
rgds
Graham Powell

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Jordan said:
Rob; could I trouble you awfully, Sir, to go out and look at the can..?? That blue looks just the ticket for my next locos - could you tell me what name it actually is? Thanks! :bowdown: :bowdown:
Edit: Links to prototype pictures here and here. Note how the blue changes shade in different light, much as Rob's Severn has. What do fellow Thunderers think of the paint match?  :scratch:

As for building things that are outside our usual area of interest, surely "a change is as good as a rest"..?? It can be very refreshing to model something just for the fun of it, instead of getting so bogged down in something we lose the 'mojo'... (whatever that is!! :scratch:  :shit: ) so well done Rob - that little loco certainly has character - as well as a colour that pleases the majority on here..!! :)) :))

Hi Jordan, Thanks for the kind words - I agree the colour does look a good likeness to the one you are after. It is Halfords Royal Blue - I looked for numbers etc . but that's all there is on the can.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

Thanks Rob  :bowdown: - I shall go & have a look in my local Halfords soon... ;)

Dog Star said:
BLUE ? ? ? ?..... I think
Yes well done, there... ::)  I meant 'name' as in "what shade of blue"...

.... I thought I was the one supposed to be at the back of the Class.... ::)  :)) :)) :))

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

While I was off last Friday I managed to get some time in on the A3. Drilling a grand total of 71 0.3mm holes for rivets in the boiler top. It took me all afternoon and evening but I only broke 2 drill bit's.

I took the plunge a while ago and placed an order with scale hardware and this is the first time I have used them.

Attachments

• Boiler with rivets 2.JPG
    Boiler with rivets 2.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Boiler with rivets 2.JPG
    Boiler with rivets 2.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 6

Dog Star

Western Thunderer

Rob Pulham said:
I only broke 2 drill bit's.

Do tell, how did you extract the stubborn bit of the bit from the casting?
regards, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back to the A3!!

I have to confess, I didn't I just drilled another hole along side :-[

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

mmmmmmmm........Gresley Pacifics eh  :drool: 8) 8) 8) (I can think of a certain garden railway not very far from you  ;) , If you ever want to stretch it's legs  :D )

Phill :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Hi Rob,

it's getting better all the time - get the photos ready to show the rivet counters that they are wrong and you are right!

cheers

Mike

Dikitriki

Flying Squad

I would love for Rob to be able to show the rivet counters that he is right.

This rivet counter (how else can you get it right?) believes that there never were any rivets along the top of an A3 boiler. I know, I know, DJH and Hachette et al all put nice rows along the top, but I am yet to see 1 picture that conclusively shows rivets. Those that have been shown to me in the past were all where A4 boilers were transferred to A3s in which case there were rivets. I have found only 2 photographs where I was able to say beyond doubt whether the usual A3 boilers were rivetted or not - and they clearly showed a flush top without rivets.

I would be grateful if anyone has any very clear pictures of the top of an A3 boiler can confirm the position. I have 2 A3s to do/finish and I would like to be happy I've got it right, preferably before I paint them! And I'm not going to accept current pictures of FS!

Cheers

Richard

Nevertheless, I do take my hat off to Rob for drilling all those .3mm holes in DJH's huge thick lump of a boiler

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Fair point Richard and thanks for your input, I am glad that I haven't cut them short and glued them in yet.

I will consult my library and see if I can find any pictures that show the rivets. A boiler transferred from an A4 wouldn't really fit in my scenario as I am planning to model Papyrus in the early thirties before the A4's were built.

So if I cannot find evidence of rivets, I will save the rivets, fill the holes and like you with the tender cut out's, mark it down to experience.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Phill Dyson said:
mmmmmmmm........Gresley Pacifics eh  :drool: 8) 8) 8) (I can think of a certain garden railway not very far from you  ;) , If you ever want to stretch it's legs  :D )

Phill :wave:

Hi Phill, I will most certainly take you up on that once I have it running. :thumbs:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

After having a look through my library I have come to agree with Richard that the A3 's didn't have these rivets so I removed them. I haven't filled the holes just yet in case a photo to the contrary turns up :eek:.

Meanwhile I have done further work on the boiler detailing although I wish I had fitted the hand rails to the sides of the boiler before the smoke box door as I will now need to lower the handrail on the door to line up with the ones on the smoke box as they curl around.

Attachments

• 2750 Papyrus 001.JPG
    2750 Papyrus 001.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2750 Papyrus 002.JPG
    2750 Papyrus 002.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2750 Papyrus 008.JPG
    2750 Papyrus 008.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 6

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Nice to see a bit more done Rob  :thumbs: .

I have always fancied an A4 (probably Sir Nigel Gresley in 1970's preservation livery )..........but that would be stretching the bounds of modelers licence for Withercombe (even by my standards)  ;D

Phill  :wave: