7mm Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back (again) to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Despite being distracted this last week by putting together some Skytrex buildings for my layout ,I have made progress on the J63. The chassis still needs some of the detailing finishing off - brakes etc. but I have made a start on the footplate and upperworks.

J63Build001-2.jpg

What can be seen from the picture below and later ones is that the wooden infill of the buffer beam is represented by a fold up box and some spacers/parts to hold them in place.

What I discovered when I got to this bit was never throw anything away during the build even if it just looks like a part numbering tag! Some of the parts for this I had discarded (fortunately I hadn't emptied the bin!) when removing other bits from the etch they had come off and being quite small didn't look at all like a usable part.....

J63Build002-2.jpg

J63Build003-3.jpg

J63Build004-2.jpg

J63Build006-2.jpg

J63Build007.jpg

J63Build008.jpg

J63Build009.jpg

The build is very much made up of half etched overlays and has lots of slots and tabs to enable construction. I elected to cut some of these off and rely on clamps to hold some parts together to get what I viewed was a better fit.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
HI Rob,

as you say, never, never throw anything away while you are building a kit, you never know what you might need to complete the model. The connection with MOK is becoming more and more obvious now - I had not noticed it that much when I built the first Q1

IMG_0188.JPG

keep it up, should be ready for painting by Halifax:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
What I discovered when I got to this bit was never throw anything away during the build even if it just looks like a part numbering tag! Some of the parts for this I had discarded (fortunately I hadn't emptied the bin!) when removing other bits from the etch they had come off and being quite small didn't look at all like a usable part.....

So, start a kit in the mind-set of absolute doubt... hence first step is "when in doubt, read the instructions".

I like the look of this engine...

regards, Graham

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
So, start a kit in the mind-set of absolute doubt... hence first step is "when in doubt, read the instructions".

I like the look of this engine...

regards, Graham

and for a change Graham, the instructions are quite good.

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
No excuse then Rob, take that comfy armchair from beside the Toblerone baseboard and find your way to the back row.

I can honestly say that I have read and understood more of these instructions than any other kit I have put together... which doesn't seem to be saying much I know but.......:oops::rolleyes:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I can honestly say that I have read and understood more of these instructions than any other kit I have put together... which doesn't seem to be saying much I know but.......:oops::rolleyes:

Now that is a thought worthy of Jordan - including the pink bubbles ;)

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Quietly watching this one Ron, a very nice kit indeed I do like the look of the construction so far. Can you pointe in the direction of the website, are there other NER kits avaliable?

ATB

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
More progress was made yesterday, happily fuelled by Mike suggesting that it might be complete for Halifax. For me there is nothing like a deadline to spur me on.

The body is not yet fastened to the foot plate and I am learning all the while. If I ever build another (and I quite fancy converting one to the earlier Pollitt saddle tank versions at some point using most of this kit as the basis) I will not cut any thing off the etches in the way of cleaning them up before fitting - There are a number of the tabs which hold the parts in the etch which actually help to locate something else down the line. Cutting them off hasn't been a problem but it would have saved fiddling with clamps etc.

J63Build001-3.jpg

J63Build002-3.jpg

J63Build003-4.jpg

J63Build004-3.jpg

I also took the time out of sequence to put the bars over the rear windows while they were still in the etched frame.

J63Build005-3.jpg

The cab rear is also made up from 2 layers so I had to make the back ver smooth so that it will sit in place when I get to attaching it to the rear plate.

J63Build006-3.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I plan to finish it as 5061 using this photo on flickr as the basis for scratch building the condensing pipes.

According to the RCTS green book entry for the class all except one (which includes 5061) had a screw and wheel reverser. So what I do need to ask the learned forum members is can anyone point me at a picture of a GCR screw and wheel reverser? or better still point me at a supplier for castings - I have (below) what I think is an GER version of a screw/wheel reverser from Laurie Griffin in my F4/5 kit but I may be wrong:rolleyes:

J63 Build 007.JPG

J63 Build 008.JPG

I also need a wheel and lever smoke box door dart but am sure that I can pick one of those up at Halifax as a replacement for one I will borrow from "Sam Fay"

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Go here:-
http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/map/trainPlansIndex.php

And then choose from the LH navigation:-
GCR Class 9J.... plan section row 3, column 9.... Pom-Pom!!!! (as a circa 1900 Basil Brush might have said).

If you look at the other sets of plans then you will see that the screw reverser is a common fitting, probably described under dwg. no. 63764 - just do not ask if that is a BP number or a GCR number.

build on, Graham

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
That's a really useful resource Graham thanks.

As it happens I think I may have a nice cast brass screw reverser of that type in my spares box. Alternately I can ask Gladiator as there is definitely one in my B2 kit (standard fitting as you say). The other bit that isn't included in the kit but I may be able to find from the drawings that you have pointed me to is the brake cylinder.

Tony West

Western Thunderer
I plan to finish it as 5061 using this photo on flickr as the basis for scratch building the condensing pipes.

According to the RCTS green book entry for the class all except one (which includes 5061) had a screw and wheel reverser. So what I do need to ask the learned forum members is can anyone point me at a picture of a GCR screw and wheel reverser? or better still point me at a supplier for castings - I have (below) what I think is an GER version of a screw/wheel reverser from Laurie Griffin in my F4/5 kit but I may be wrong:rolleyes:

View attachment 11074

View attachment 11075

I also need a wheel and lever smoke box door dart but am sure that I can pick one of those up at Halifax as a replacement for one I will borrow from "Sam Fay"
Rob,
for a 'standard' GC type screw reverser try Geoff Stratford ( Gladiator models), who will also no doubt be able to assist you with a lost wax GC four spoke smokebox door wheel and bar.
Cheers Tony.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob,
for a 'standard' GC type screw reverser try Geoff Stratford ( Gladiator models), who will also no doubt be able to assist you with a lost wax GC four spoke smokebox door wheel and bar.
Cheers Tony.

Cheers Tony,
It was Geoff/Gladiator that I had in mind, my B2 is a Gladiator kit and while having a look last night discovered that the kit has too screw reverser's included (slightly different, see below)
The two white metal reverser's are the ones from Gladiator and the brass one is from the spares box. All I need to do now is work out which B2 I plan to model, find out which of the reverser's is best fit and then use the other for the J63 - simple really:confused:

J63Build005-4.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Now for the update that doesn't include what I posted above:)

We had a power cut for most of yesterday afternoon so progress was delayed.

J63Build003-5.jpg

At this point I had chopped off some of the tabs from the end of the boiler as I was struggling to get them all to locate - if you imagine tabs all the way around a squared off U shape...

J63Build004-4.jpg

J63Build006-4.jpg

J63Build007-1.jpg

J63Build008-1.jpg

This is just to give an idea of how many slots/tabs I was contending with at this point which is why I elected to solder it all together.
J63Build010.jpg

I am going up to the cottage until mid next week so progress will now stop until then. I will in the mean time be building Slaters/Parkside wagons - I started one last time I was up but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was...:rolleyes:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Just to show you how close this is to to MOK designs.....

J63Build001-4.jpg

J63Build002-4.jpg

The observant amongst you will note that there is a missing former. Despite checking everything it is indeed missing but it doesn't really affect the build.

Hi Rob,

I had not taken any progress shots of my J63 build, I was just relying on a failing memory:)) - completion for Halifax is on then?

cheers

Mike