SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Now we need to sort out the decoder…

Wheeltapper DCC offer an ESU decoder with a sound project recorded on the remaining 13xx.

First choice is a 21-pin with Adapterplatine, as this allows the platine to be screwed into place which always seems more workmanlike to me, and protects the wiring, etc. - and as Chris appears to have pre-filled the boiler & tanks with something of extreme density, there are few opportunities to use the body!

First, up front between the frames
image.jpg

Possible but will be visible under the boiler, and challenging for the front chassis fixing. And this would be the preferred location for the speaker.

Second, under the bunker

image.jpg

That’s a “No” then.

Third, in the bunker

image.jpg

Mmm, far from ideal.

Fourth, lying down in the bunker

image.jpg

Well, it goes in, but I’m not at all sure that it gains anything from being on the adapterplatine.

That probably suggests an 8-wire decoder without plug will be the rational option, and reluctantly, I think I’ll have to mount it in the bunker. I much prefer the body to be entirely separate if possible. I might be able to arrange a hole in the bunker floor through which the decoder can be fed into the bunker from below.

1717445122653.jpeg

this…. With the plug cut off…

atb
Simon

Last edited:
Thunderbirds are GO!

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks to everyone who provided help, comment and moral support, the debacles with the local planning department have been concluded and we have permission for the extension. The appeal officer was very clear that there were no reasonable grounds to reject, and the original judgement was flawed in matters of fact. A great result if a bit tedious having to go through two applications and an appeal process.

There is now quite a lot of work to be done!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks to everyone who provided help, comment and moral support, the debacles with the local planning department have been concluded and we have permission for the extension. The appeal officer was very clear that there were no reasonable grounds to reject, and the original judgement was flawed in matters of fact. A great result if a bit tedious having to go through two applications and an appeal process.

There is now quite a lot of work to be done!

Well done you and all involved.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Now we need to sort out the decoder…

Wheeltapper DCC offer an ESU decoder with a sound project recorded on the remaining 13xx.

First choice is a 21-pin with Adapterplatine, as this allows the platine to be screwed into place which always seems more workmanlike to me, and protects the wiring, etc. - and as Chris appears to have pre-filled the boiler & tanks with something of extreme density, there are few opportunities to use the body!

First, up front between the frames
View attachment 216877

Possible but will be visible under the boiler, and challenging for the front chassis fixing. And this would be the preferred location for the speaker.

Second, under the bunker

View attachment 216878

That’s a “No” then.

Third, in the bunker

View attachment 216879

Mmm, far from ideal.

Fourth, lying down in the bunker

View attachment 216880

Well, it goes in, but I’m not at all sure that it gains anything from being on the adapterplatine.

That probably suggests an 8-wire decoder without plug will be the rational option, and reluctantly, I think I’ll have to mount it in the bunker. I much prefer the body to be entirely separate if possible. I might be able to arrange a hole in the bunker floor through which the decoder can be fed into the bunker from below.

View attachment 216881

this…. With the plug cut off…

atb
Simon
Why cut the plug off Simon ? If the body needs to come off the plug cab be disconnected and the chassis can be removed leaving the decoder in the bunker . Put a 2 pin plug & socket in for the speasker .

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,

because there isn’t room for the plug & socket and three inches of 8 excess wires all coiled up.

my preferred option whenever I can is to use a 21pin decoder and mounting plate, as the plate can be fixed permanently to the chassis and the wiring fitted to length. No chance to do that here unfortunately.

and if I have to disconnect the decoder I can’t run the loco with the body off, which is useful on occasions.

atb
Simon

paulc

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,

because there isn’t room for the plug & socket and three inches of 8 excess wires all coiled up.

my preferred option whenever I can is to use a 21pin decoder and mounting plate, as the plate can be fixed permanently to the chassis and the wiring fitted to length. No chance to do that here unfortunately.

and if I have to disconnect the decoder I can’t run the loco with the body off, which is useful on occasions.

atb
Simon
Fair comment . Ref the last sentence, if you make bridging wires to fit the socket ( assuming the socket is left with the chassis ) you can then run it on DC . Ask me how i know .

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul,

I have a blanking plug somewhere, but I don’t have a DC layout! The test track can be either, but it’s a yard of Peco, so pretty limited!

simond

Western Thunderer
it’s August Bank Holiday and it’s persisting down.

we should be away, but due to a minor mishap on the previous holiday, I managed to break a tendon insertion in my ankle, which means that I can neither drive nor motorcycle and would be as much use on a boat as a whistling pig.

image.jpg

so it’s time to clear the detritus of several weeks/months of not modelling, and do something useful. I have too many projects on the go simultaneously, because I’m indisciplined, and get excited by and then start things that I’m not trying to finish, but I really must get on with:

Chris’ @Pencarrow pannier. The decoders have arrived, so I should get on with installing one. There are really not many other jobs to do, sandboxes, vac pump, brakes, steps, and it would be good to get this finished, particularly as Chris has made some rather nice buildings for his layout, he’ll be wanting a loco at some point. (Note that I got distracted by Templot plug track!)

image.jpg

Tony’s Manor. Conversion from coarse scale. Tender done, but needs brakes and scoop, loco chassis assembled, needs connecting and coupling rods, slide bars, motion brackets, brakes, motor and cab details. Much already drawn and 3DP, some left to do. If anyone has a spare Torquay Manor name plate…?

image.jpg

Nick @magmouse & I set about doing a couple of runs of 3DP loco coal wagons. Stalled, need to revisit the model, however now have Trotec from which to make brake gear, brake levers & W irons.

image.jpg

John’s signal. About three years ago, I rebuilt a lovely 3-doll signal for my pal, John’s, garden line. I carefully pinned and epoxied the trimmers to prevent them falling apart again. Now I don’t know if it’s been “squirrelled” or it’s just a result of the weather, but I’ve got the damn thing back. This time I’m using @Jon Fitness lovely etches for posts and dolls, and will saw the trimmers & baseplate from 1/8“ brass. That’ll slow the little hairy-tailed beggars down a bit! (If they still attack it I have a 40kV deterrent :p)

image.jpg

Right, lunch, then make a start!

magmouse

Western Thunderer
Ouch, Simon! Hope that mends soon and isn't too painful in the meantime. However, it's an ill wind, so at least you get extra modelling time! :)

Nick.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Nick,

Happily, it’s more uncomfortable than painful, it’s just cumbersome, awkward, inconvenient and annoying…

and what’s worse, we were having a stroll before going to the pub when it happened!

when the rain stops, I’m going to laser some W irons, watch this space!

cheers
Simon

Hayfield1

Western Thunderer
it’s August Bank Holiday and it’s persisting down.

Chris’ @Pencarrow pannier. The decoders have arrived, so I should get on with installing one. There are really not many other jobs to do, sandboxes, vac pump, brakes, steps, and it would be good to get this finished, particularly as Chris has made some rather nice buildings for his layout, he’ll be wanting a loco at some point. (Note that I got distracted by Templot plug track!)

Simon

You may be distracted more by the latest developments in Templot plug track, or rather (non) plug track plus its all FDM printed

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Ouch, that will smart a bit Simon. Hopefully it will be a quick recovery.

That's a lot of projects on the go, mind you, I can't talk... Once in a blue moon I do finish things though. And now I'm starting yet another building, but I do need something to work on during the G0G demo sessions in 2 weeks time.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Sorry to read about your bad leg, wish you a speedy recovery - but slow enough to enable you to almost clear the modelling backlog.

Best wishes

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all,

John, that rabbithole is not at all helpful :p

Chris,

how about a nice slate-built North Wales / Gwynedd village pub…? Ty Coch would be prototypical ;)

The rain has not yet stopped, and I’m not going outside and getting my boot (and toes!) wet, so I’m not able to progress the wagons and signals beyond here:

image.jpg

The bending bars are in the garage, attached to the table on which the laser sits. The memory stick has a small cutting file which will be the first experiment in using Trotec ADA for W irons. There’s a small sample of the material below it. I have rather more available.

The big saw and thick brass is out there too, so that’s as far as those bits of project can go for now.

The g-code files are prepared for the Manor coupling & con rods, and Madame is playing tennis tomorrow morning so CNC milling in the lounge will be possible. Not politic at present :D

And the pannier…

image.jpg

has now got a hole in the bottom of its bunker, through which the decoder will fit, I hope. I shall now have to make an intermediate plate to fit between the frames and the footplate, to pick up on the two threaded holes in the bunker corners. These will fix the cab to the frames, sandwiching the footplate between. The cab steps and sandboxes can then be fitted to this plate.

Ah, good, it fits through t’ole

image.jpg

And better yet,

image.jpg

It’ll hide under a reasonably loaded bunker.

Right, fretsaw, make plate…

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Thanks all,

John, that rabbithole is not at all helpful :p

Chris,

how about a nice slate-built North Wales / Gwynedd village pub…? Ty Coch would be prototypical ;)

The rain has not yet stopped, and I’m not going outside and getting my boot (and toes!) wet, so I’m not able to progress the wagons and signals beyond here:

View attachment 222290

The bending bars are in the garage, attached to the table on which the laser sits. The memory stick has a small cutting file which will be the first experiment in using Trotec ADA for W irons. There’s a small sample of the material below it. I have rather more available.

The big saw and thick brass is out there too, so that’s as far as those bits of project can go for now.

The g-code files are prepared for the Manor coupling & con rods, and Madame is playing tennis tomorrow morning so CNC milling in the lounge will be possible. Not politic at present :D

And the pannier…

View attachment 222291

has now got a hole in the bottom of its bunker, through which the decoder will fit, I hope. I shall now have to make an intermediate plate to fit between the frames and the footplate, to pick up on the two threaded holes in the bunker corners. These will fix the cab to the frames, sandwiching the footplate between. The cab steps and sandboxes can then be fitted to this plate.

Ah, good, it fits through t’ole

View attachment 222292

And better yet,

View attachment 222293

It’ll hide under a reasonably loaded bunker.

Right, fretsaw, make plate…

Wot, no room for another kg of lead??

Looking good old fruit.

simond

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

Have fretsaw, will cut…

image.jpg

that cleaned up ok, and fits nicely save the hole on the right will need ovalling a bit. Ho hum.

image.jpg

Chassis lines up nicely. Good.

image.jpg

I’ll have to cut away the tops of the frames so the footplate sits down correctly.

I’ll also have to relieve the edges of the new plate to clear the angle of the drop bar / valance. That’s a mini mill job for tomorrow.

I think I might make this plate into a sub-assembly with the steps and sandboxes. It'll be easier to paint if nothing else.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Nice work Simon. Does that mean the rear steps etc will be fixed to the chassis via the plate, rather than the footplate? Cunning.