SimonD’s workbench

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
"Closed and ground" is the description of what was done to the spring...

Simon, your drawing of the suspension springs looks just so. I do hope that you started with a trapezoidal section as did the spring shop... When wound the cross-section of the steel became square!

Rgds, G

Last edited:

JimG

Western Thunderer
Simon,

These were the rear springs for a Caledonian Class 782 tank in1:32 scale which I did over five years ago.

Cal782Pug-058.jpg

The springs were actually free and worked if you prodded them around with a cocktail stick, but the bolts and plates were solid so there was no danger of them being called into action. :)

3D printed on my old Phrozen Shuffle using the original Phrozen resin.

Jim.

simond

Western Thunderer
There is something very satisfying about things like springs.

Graham, I drew it with square wire. I’m aware of various wire sections being used, of course, but was not aware that these springs were trapezoid.

As an aside, we do get through a few metres of square section 40mm dia tension spring at work, we sell it as an electrode to test pipe coatings, if anyone wants some, do let me know!

well, the slicing and island detection has gone quite well, only 4 islands, and I doubt they matter. On with the print, and whilst that’s cooking, I shall do the remaining metalwork, and then strip the chassis for paint.

simond

Western Thunderer
Stripped for clean and paint!

image.jpg

I hope I’ve done all the mechanical soldering on the chassis so it’s about to get a good “Jiffing” followed by a relaxing sauna ultrasonic bath, and when dry, then a dose of Halfords best, and then some “not quite black” acrylic.

Then the fun starts.

I still have to make brake linkages and cross beams. The printer has a couple of hours to go.