Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

LarryG

Western Thunderer
As regards the L&Y 3F 0-6-0s, much of my firing time was spend on these engines shunting and trip working between Oldham Clegg Street and Royton Junction. Took one to Manchester.......The Victoria pilot man said he had expected something bigger than Stevenson's Rocket! :D

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Another fantastic resource for the modeller. To get two views of the same loco on the same day is very rare. Great to see everyday working engines with twisted step treads, buckled coal rails and bent cab roof but no smile from the driver!

If only I modelled the L&Y in the 60's!

Not only that the Crewe photos also provide clues as to the location of the overhead electrification (OHLE) warning signs on the locos and tenders. We're so used to seeing them on the main line locos in earlier posts but not on the smaller goods and shunting locos.

Centrally on the boiler and left and right rear (as you face it) of the tender on the tender locos - although it looks like there is one missing on rear 3/4 view of 52312 as you can see the four fixing holes.

And centrally on the tank side and rear cab side on the tank locos.

In the front 3/4 view of 52312, the Fowler tender in the background has the OHLE warning sign in the centre of the coal bunker facing the cab. This would imply an OHLE warning sign is in a similar position on the main line loco tenders. I wonder how often this detail is picked up by modellers of the 1960s West Coast lines and branches?

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian @Ian@StEnochs . That's music to my ears. I really hope someone will find the photos useful.

Roger @Roger Pound . A shame you didn't see these. However, you'd have seen an even earlier variety of works shunter I guess.

Thank you for the extra bit about the wagon, Barry @Barry37 . And thanks for yours as well, Larry.

Dave @Yorkshire Dave . I'd not noticed the OHLE warnings. Mind you, I wonder how many of the crew did as they saw the same sign day after day in the same positions on the same locos. Ones observation becomes provably dulled with such repetition.

A third LYR 3F/Class 11 0-6-0, No 52093 as a Crewe Works Shunter on 7th May 1961. This was another acquired by Crewe Works for the Mechanical engineers on loan in February 1953 and officially transferred in the following April. It was withdrawn in what appears to have been a cull of the works shunters at the beginning of September 1962. (SLS). It was scrapped at Crewe Works (WHTS) later the same month. (BR Database).

img3032 TM Neg Strip 26 52093 Works Shunter Crewe Works Yard 7 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

Rebuilt Patriot 45545 Planet in Crewe Works on 7th May 1961. The SLS report it in the Erecting Shop on the same date, so this was probably an organised trip in which Tim was a participant. It was on loan at Crewe North from May 1957 and moved to Carlisle Upperby in July 1961, so probably after completion of this overhaul. It was withdrawn in May 1964. (SLS). The Railway Observer report it at Connell’s, Calder, Coatbridge and BR Database report the loco to have been scrapped in November 1964.

img3033 TM Neg Strip 26 45545 Crewe Works 7 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

G2A 0-8-0 48895 allegedly undergoing a steam test in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961 although the photo suggests it is more likely to be having work done on the regulator. It’s carrying an 8F Springs Branch shed plate and had been shedded there since May 1950. It moved to Bushbury in September 1962 and then Bescot where it was withdrawn in December 1964. (SLS). The SLS report the loco in Crewe Works Sidings on the same date as Tim’s sighting. It was scrapped at Cashmore’s, Great Bridge, although I have no confirmation of the date when this occurred.

Does anyone know the reasoning for this class – possibly uniquely among BR locomotives – having no smoke box numberplate?

img3034 TM Neg Strip 26 48895 Steam Test Crewe Works Yard 7 May 61 carrying 8F Springs Branch ...jpg

Brian

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
There does look to be a whiff of steam around the safety valves, so perhaps it is a steam test? If it was work on the regulator, the top cover of the dome would be off and that sort of work would most probably be done indoors.
Dave.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Does anyone know the reasoning for this class – possibly uniquely among BR locomotives – having no smoke box numberplate?

View attachment 219586

Brian

I don't know the reasoning, but it wasn't unique: the other surviving LNWR classes didn't get the plates, either (cf. the Webb Coal Tanks). In that respect I suspect it was simply a continuation of later LMS practise, as they seem not to have had them then, either.

Adam

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I don't know the reasoning, but it wasn't unique: the other surviving LNWR classes didn't get the plates, either (cf. the Webb Coal Tanks). In that respect I suspect it was simply a continuation of later LMS practise, as they seem not to have had them then, either.

Adam
I agree entirely with this. I feel it was just another one of those Crew versus Derby quirks which emanated from the Grouping, but have no evidence on this - just a thought.....:confused:.

Roger.

Reactions: AJC

Overseer

Western Thunderer

Adam
I am sure I have read that the lack of front numberplates was due to the LNWR locos having pressed steel smokebox doors instead of cast steel. The doors were thinner, drilling and tapping them for fixing numberplates resulted in failure of the smokebox doors. Not sure where I read it though.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Now you mention it, Dave @Dave Holt there does appear to be a feather of steam at the safety valve, so Tim was probably correct. That'll teach me to question the word of someone who was there! I guess there was some boiler work going on, though, judging by the lack of cladding. The absence of coupling rods is notable too. I wonder if the bearings were being remetalled at the same time.

Thank you @AJC , @Roger Pound and @Overseer for putting together a scenario for the lack of smokebox numbers on the ex LNWR classes (notably not just the G2as for which I thank you Adam). I'll attach these comments to the photo as a bit of extra detail.

MR 3Fs 43200 wearing a 17A shed plate with 43605 awaiting scrap in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961.

43200 had been allocated to Derby since at least January 1948 and was withdrawn from there at the end of April 1961. (BR Database and SLS). Both 43200 and 43605 were reported in the Works Yard by the SLS on the date of Tim’s visit and both were scrapped at Crewe Works (SLS), on the case of 43200 in May 1961. (BR Database).

43605 was a Staveley (Barrow Hill) loco from January 1952 and was withdrawn from there in April 1961. (SLS). It was scrapped at Crewe Works (SLS) during June 1961.

img3035 TM Neg Strip 26 43200 & 43605 awaiting scrap Crewe Works Yard 7 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

Yet another LYR Class 11 0-6-0, No 52218 as a Works Shunter in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961. As with the previous similar locos this arrived at Crewe on loan for the Mechanicals but this time in August 1953. It was allocated to Crewe Works a month later and withdrawn at the end of April 1962. (SLS). Again, reported by the SLS at Crewe Works on the same date as recorded by Tim. The Railway Observer advise it was scrapped at Crewe Works and BR Database that the date was June 1962.

Do I spy a bit more wagonry to excite the aficionados?

img3036 TM Neg Strip 26 52218 Works Shunter Crewe Works Yard 7 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

LYR Class 11 52459 as another Works Shunter at Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961. This was transferred to the MEE at Crewe Works in October 1953 and withdrawn in December 1961. (SLS). It was scrapped in January 1962 (BR Database) at Crewe Works. (SLS).

img3037 TM Neg Strip 26 52459 Works Shunter Crewe Works Yard 7 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

Brian

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I remember all of Newton Heath's L&Y 3F 0-6-0s congregating at Lees 26F in early 1961. At least one had a long wheelbase rivetted Barton Wright Tender while other tenders were with or without coal rails. I had left the railway, but noticed Lees appeared to be making the most of these locos. I spent one teatime on shed and the adjacent station photographing them arriving and going off shed to do pilot work.

By the middle of 1961 they had all gone, never to be seen again in the area ~ withdrawn I suspect.

Barry37

Western Thunderer
Now you mention it, Dave @Dave Holt there does appear to be a feather of steam at the safety valve, so Tim was probably correct. That'll teach me to question the word of someone who was there! I guess there was some boiler work going on, though, judging by the lack of cladding. The absence of coupling rods is notable too. I wonder if the bearings were being remetalled at the same time.

Thank you @AJC , @Roger Pound and @Overseer for putting together a scenario for the lack of smokebox numbers on the ex LNWR classes (notably not just the G2as for which I thank you Adam). I'll attach these comments to the photo as a bit of extra detail.

MR 3Fs 43200 wearing a 17A shed plate with 43605 awaiting scrap in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961.

43200 had been allocated to Derby since at least January 1948 and was withdrawn from there at the end of April 1961. (BR Database and SLS). Both 43200 and 43605 were reported in the Works Yard by the SLS on the date of Tim’s visit and both were scrapped at Crewe Works (SLS), on the case of 43200 in May 1961. (BR Database).

43605 was a Staveley (Barrow Hill) loco from January 1952 and was withdrawn from there in April 1961. (SLS). It was scrapped at Crewe Works (SLS) during June 1961.

View attachment 219678

Yet another LYR Class 11 0-6-0, No 52218 as a Works Shunter in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961. As with the previous similar locos this arrived at Crewe on loan for the Mechanicals but this time in August 1953. It was allocated to Crewe Works a month later and withdrawn at the end of April 1962. (SLS). Again, reported by the SLS at Crewe Works on the same date as recorded by Tim. The Railway Observer advise it was scrapped at Crewe Works and BR Database that the date was June 1962.

Do I spy a bit more wagonry to excite the aficionados?

View attachment 219679

LYR Class 11 52459 as another Works Shunter at Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961. This was transferred to the MEE at Crewe Works in October 1953 and withdrawn in December 1961. (SLS). It was scrapped in January 1962 (BR Database) at Crewe Works. (SLS).

View attachment 219680

Brian
* falls for bait *
Between 52218's tender and the 16T mineral on the right, there are three wagons, probably all with wood underframes. From right, an RCH 1923 7 plank with end door ex-private owner (though could be an LMS or LNER build). Centre a 5 plank, possibly an LMS D1666. To its left, another 5 plank, which has vertical strapping halfway between the door knee washer plate and the corner plate. There also seems to be a vertical strap up the door. This could possibly be a Midland Railway wagon - D663A or similar.
Perhaps these were Crewe Internal Users, or on their way to be scrapped - Llanymynech, south of Oswestry, was a scrapping location around that time, and not that far from Crewe.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that, Larry. It adds a bit of background to the history of these locos.

Barry @Barry37 . I'm so glad you fell for the bait! The worm I was really dangling was E219212 on the left of the loco, but as you've not commented I suspect it's too common to really require a comment.:D

Yesterday I was scanning another lot of Tim's slides. Most of these are of family so for those of us who didn't know Tim of very limited interest, but his son and wife value them. I came across a tray called "Mallard on the S & C/Vintage/Welsh Narrow Gauge" and suspected it was another of the series taken after the end of steam but No! Indeed there are some of Mallard and Welsh railways but a number, perhaps 25 or so, taken from about 1961 and onwards. Indeed, there are a couple in there of The Solent Limited which we've seen in these posts previously as B & W images. In truth about half of them are of not great quality and either have camera shake or are slightly out of focus but they enthuse me enough to redouble my scanning of images which, by description, are quite routine but may turn in to something special. We still have many black and white images to come on this thread but there are a growing number of colour images which will follow in due course - and when I've reprocessed them, of course.

Barton Wright Class 23 0-6-0ST 51444 as Works Shunter in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961. It was allocated to the CME at Crewe Works in December 1948 and was withdrawn in August 1961. I could find no confirmed date for scrapping although WHTS confirms the deed was carried out at Crewe Works.

img3040 TM Neg Strip 26 51444 Works Shunter Crewe Works Yard 7 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

Two here of 47XX 2-8-0 4700 carrying an 81A (Old Oak Common) shed plate at Old Oak on 10th May 1961. Note that the RHS cylinder cover is removed. The loco had been allocated to Old Oak since at least June 1947 and moved just down the road, to Southall, in October 1961 where it was withdrawn in October 1962. (SLS and BR Database). It was scrapped in March 1964 (BR Database) at King’s of Norwich where it was photographed in February the same year. (WHTS).

img3042 TM Neg Strip 27 4700 Old Oak Loco 10 May 61 Note missing cylinder cover copyright Final.jpg

img3053 TM Neg Strip 26A 4700 Old Oak Loco 10 May 61 Query RH cylinder cover removed copyright...jpg

Another 47XX 2-8-0 at Old Oak Common on 10th May 1961 – this time 4701. The loco was allocated to Old Oak by at least June 1947, moved to Southall in November 1962 and back to Old Oak in November 1962 where it was withdrawn in September 1963. (BR Database and SLS). It was scrapped at Cashmore’s, Newport in August 1965. (BR Database).

img3043 TM Neg Strip 27 4701 Old Oak Loco 10 May 61 copyright Final.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Some of the Barton Wright 0-6-0 ST's transferred after WW2 to departmental use gave later enthusiasts a taste of a past era with their original dart-fitted smokebox doors. LMS numbers beginning with 1 instead of 5 was quite a novelty.

Thanks to Richard Greenwood (2F 0-6-0ST), Messrs Fairclough (3F 0-6-0 and some others (2F 0-6-0 and 0F 0-4-0ST), some small L&Y locos are still with us.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Two here of 47XX 2-8-0 4700 carrying an 81A (Old Oak Common) shed plate at Old Oak on 10th May 1961. Note that the RHS cylinder cover is removed. The loco had been allocated to Old Oak since at least June 1947 and moved just down the road, to Southall, in October 1961 where it was withdrawn in October 1962. (SLS and BR Database). It was scrapped in March 1964 (BR Database) at King’s of Norwich where it was photographed in February the same year. (WHTS).

View attachment 219733
Not just the front cylinder cover...

Other missing items include the connecting rod, the slidebars, the motion bracket, the crosshead and the piston rod. As a guess, there was a reason to remove the piston through the cylinder front and the fitters could not separate the crosshead from the piston rod. Someone has decided that removing parts to the rear of the cylinder would allow the crosshead and piston to be removed through the rear of the cylinder.

Or cut through the piston rod....

Barry37

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that, Larry. It adds a bit of background to the history of these locos.

Barry @Barry37 . I'm so glad you fell for the bait! The worm I was really dangling was E219212 on the left of the loco, but as you've not commented I suspect it's too common to really require a comment.:D

Yesterday I was scanning another lot of Tim's slides. Most of these are of family so for those of us who didn't know Tim of very limited interest, but his son and wife value them. I came across a tray called "Mallard on the S & C/Vintage/Welsh Narrow Gauge" and suspected it was another of the series taken after the end of steam but No! Indeed there are some of Mallard and Welsh railways but a number, perhaps 25 or so, taken from about 1961 and onwards. Indeed, there are a couple in there of The Solent Limited which we've seen in these posts previously as B & W images. In truth about half of them are of not great quality and either have camera shake or are slightly out of focus but they enthuse me enough to redouble my scanning of images which, by description, are quite routine but may turn in to something special. We still have many black and white images to come on this thread but there are a growing number of colour images which will follow in due course - and when I've reprocessed them, of course.

Barton Wright Class 23 0-6-0ST 51444 as Works Shunter in Crewe Works Yard on 7th May 1961. It was allocated to the CME at Crewe Works in December 1948 and was withdrawn in August 1961. I could find no confirmed date for scrapping although WHTS confirms the deed was carried out at Crewe Works.

View attachment 219732

View attachment 219733

View attachment 219735

Another 47XX 2-8-0 at Old Oak Common on 10th May 1961 – this time 4701. The loco was allocated to Old Oak by at least June 1947, moved to Southall in November 1962 and back to Old Oak in November 1962 where it was withdrawn in September 1963. (BR Database and SLS). It was scrapped at Cashmore’s, Newport in August 1965. (BR Database).

View attachment 219734

Brian

E219212 is an ex-LNER 5 plank, built from 1938, with 8 brakeshoes.Just to the right of it, but mostly hidden by the loco, is a wagon that seems to be a three plank wagon with drop sides. Quite likely to be an ex-LMS sleeper wagon to D1953, or D2098 (which had thinner planks).

AJC

Western Thunderer
E219212 is an ex-LNER 5 plank, built from 1938, with 8 brakeshoes.Just to the right of it, but mostly hidden by the loco, is a wagon that seems to be a three plank wagon with drop sides. Quite likely to be an ex-LMS sleeper wagon to D1953, or D2098 (which had thinner planks).

LNER diagram 120 - E219212 was probably a 1940 build. Note that it's recently repainted and has BR pattern axleboxes. A shot of a wagon from the same date and diagram can be found on Paul Bartlett's pages:

Adam