4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
While waiting for another goods shed kit to arrive, I built an Intentio Sleeper built P'Way hut....

WEB Sleeper hut 1.jpg

The chimney breast has been left separate to aid painting....
WEB Sleeper Hut 3.jpg

The numerous slats were attached with PVA brushed onto those on the walls while wood glue from a tube was used on the roof....
WEB Sleeper Hut 5.jpg

Wooden door. Painting this should be fun....
WEB Sleeper hut  4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
While looking for colour photos of these sleeper-built buildings, I began to wonder what the thinking was behind them. A fireplace but no windows to offer light and ventilation. The stench of creosote! If they were basically a lock-up for PW tools, the fireplace looks superfluous although I suppose the building would be a retreat to dry off in during wet weather

JasonBz

Western Thunderer
I think the last line is pretty much spot on.
When you have been working out in the cold and damp all morning "warm and dry" is far more welcome than "light" and the fire will cast some light, an open door adds more and some ventilation. I suppose you could even have an oil lamp in there.
I used to do some work on a small farm/livery yard back in the late 80s and the tool shed was about of that standard accommodation wise.

Ben Alder

Western Thunderer
While looking for colour photos of these sleeper-built buildings, I began to wonder what the thinking was behind them. A fireplace but no windows to offer light and ventilation. The stench of creosote! If they were basically a lock-up for PW tools, the fireplace looks superfluous although I suppose the building would be a retreat to dry off in during wet weather
Here is an example of that very thing - a grainy shot of the PW hut at Thurso, beside the Wickham trolley shed, sleeper built with stove and no windows.

PICT2750adj.JPG

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the photo 'Ben'. I found photos of similar huts with corrugated sheet roof covering, presumably better than tar paint or roofing felt.

Muddysblues

Western Thunderer
Good morning Larry, quick question what will be the length of your longest train and the planned length of your storage cassettes? And what width is the shed ?

Best regards
Craig

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Good morning Larry bad luck with the paint pot we’ve all done it . Looks like the Chester corporation bus colours look spot on ……my favourite bus companies that were a credit to the city of Chester

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I put carpet tiles in my hobby room after the Stanley knife went through the carpet as well as the sheet of foam board I was cutting to make a baseboard :rolleyes: So far I've only replaced one tile.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I based this Corgi 1/50th Scale bus on a wartime utility Daimler delivered to Chester corporation in 1943 and disposed of in 1954. It was purchased in 1954 by Llanfair Road Services still carrying Chester livery.....
View attachment 177646

Daimlet artwork I prepared for etching. Wartime and post-war shell with rounded corners to grill, and prewar shell (Right). Winding holes differed according the engine (Daimler, AEC or Gardner)...
View attachment 177654

The model as purchased was a Bristol so I fitted one of my own cast rads and filed the louvers off the bonnet side....
WEB Llanfair bus 3.jpg

Unfortunately i didnt have one of my pre-war Daimler radiators and have had to make do with a post-war rad ~ and it shows. Photos also show up my untidy masking....
WEB Llanfair Bus 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Intentio Permanent Way hut finished. I very nearly sprayed it Dirty Black to represent creosote or even tar black, until I found this example on the Nantmawr Quarry Branch not far from the location I am modelling...

WEB P Way hut 1.jpg

My model represents roofing felt nailed down with wooden lats. The door looked insipid in GWR light stone so it is dark stone instead....
WEB P Way hut 3.jpg
I brushed on diluted PPC 'Dirty black and streaked it with PPC Dark Red Brick while wet using vertical stokes. Then, again using vertical strokes, I wiped te paint down with a tissue. More dirty back was added and more streaks until I got what I was looking for. The chimney was painted exactly as per previous buildings. Lats were gently rubbed with a fibre brush.....
WEB P Way Hut 4.jpg

Last edited:

Gismorail

Western Thunderer
Once again some superb work on the sleeper built PW hut Larry.......Very impressive work on the bricks on the chimney stack especially the way you have 'distressed' the brickwork which have suffered from the effect of the heat and probably frost damage during the winter months .......please don't meditate too deeply as further inspiration from your modelling skills is continually required to keep my 'mojo' going ;)