Crane Locomotives

Osgood

Western Thunderer
It looks like on these cranes the grab top block is permanently attached to the jib by chains, with the main hoist rope running to the lower transom.

So the crane is worked like this:

With bucket top block held by chains and keeping the hoist rope drum 'free' (i.e. no load), the open bucket is lowered onto the ash by lowering the jib rope (i.e. the jib lowers the bucket to the ash pile).
The main hoist rope is then pulled in which lifts the lower transom up, thereby closing the bucket.
At this point, either:
1) further hoisting of the main rope simply lifts the bucket up on those short chains until it hits the jib, and the jib gets pulled up by the bucket via the hoist rope, or
2) once the bucket is closed the operator pulls in both main hoist rope and jib rope at the same time, thereby raising the bucket but keeping the mount chains slack (once they go tight the bucket starts to open). The load must be taken by the hoist rope to keep bucket closed.

As the hoist rope is let out the jib and bucket fall until the jib rope goes tight, then the bucket falls on the chains, and once the chains are tight further lowering of the hoist rope lowers the transom and the bucket opens.
Or if the jib rope is tight with slack chains, lowering the hoist rope immediately lowers the transom and bucket opens.
Or raising the jib but not hoist rope will take the bucket load off the hoist rope, thereby opening the bucket.

A bit crude but simple!

Sentinel grab mount chains.jpg

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
It looks like on these cranes the grab top block is permanently attached to the jib by chains, with the main hoist rope running to the lower transom.

So the crane is worked like this:

With bucket top block held by chains and keeping the hoist rope drum 'free' (i.e. no load), the open bucket is lowered onto the ash by lowering the jib rope (i.e. the jib lowers the bucket to the ash pile).
The main hoist rope is then pulled in which lifts the lower transom up, thereby closing the bucket.
At this point, either:
1) further hoisting of the main rope simply lifts the bucket up on those short chains until it hits the jib, and the jib gets pulled up by the bucket via the hoist rope, or
2) once the bucket is closed the operator pulls in both main hoist rope and jib rope at the same time, thereby raising the bucket but keeping the mount chains slack (once they go tight the bucket starts to open). The load must be taken by the hoist rope to keep bucket closed.

As the hoist rope is let out the jib and bucket fall until the jib rope goes tight, then the bucket falls on the chains, and once the chains are tight further lowering of the hoist rope lowers the transom and the bucket opens.
Or if the jib rope is tight with slack chains, lowering the hoist rope immediately lowers the transom and bucket opens.
Or raising the jib but not hoist rope will take the bucket load off the hoist rope, thereby opening the bucket.

A bit crude but simple!

View attachment 140588

That actually makes perfect sense to me. :thumbs: I had a feeling it would something simple. I think there are a few variations on the brackets that hold the jib to the bucket via chains (hence my Mark II additons) but I've got a pretty good idea now how to finish it all. Inevitably there will be some compromises!

Cheers. :)

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Hi Marc

I've got a Backwoods Miniatures crane kit to start. :) However, there's some painting and decorating to be done at Spikey Faz Towers, so railway modelling may slow down a bit.:D

I've also got a couple of G-scale bits 'n pieces to finish off as well (much easier for my eyes!).

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
One of the problems with building crane locos is sourcing suitably sized and styled gear wheels. They tend to be quite prominent on the prototype and matching them to a 7mm/1ft equivalent is not easy!

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Here we go. Another crane-themed project.

Not a crane loco, but a steam crane by Backwoods Miniatures. Bit of a novelty to me as normally I'm butchering bits and pieces to make my model, whereas this is a kit! :cool:

I'm a bit stuck though on what sort of chassis to use. The Bachmann chassis is of course for narrow gauge, but I want mine to run on a standard gauge chassis. Any ideas?
20210328_173114.jpg

Mike

Giles

Western Thunderer
I should use an N20 gearmotor and bevel gears for the drive - nice and simple! Then shaft drive to the second axle with opposed bevel gears.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
If you put the motor in the upper works and drive down through the centre post, then by virtue of a solenoid lock on either lower drive or upper body the motor can perform both slew and drive functions, just like the real thing did.

Well you did mention Giles, Mike - so this has to be a push-the-boundaries build!

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I should use an N20 gearmotor and bevel gears for the drive - nice and simple! Then shaft drive to the second axle with opposed bevel gears.

If you put the motor in the upper works and drive down through the centre post, then by virtue of a solenoid lock on either lower drive or upper body the motor can perform both slew and drive functions, just like the real thing did.

Well you did mention Giles, Mike - so this has to be a push-the-boundaries build!

If only I had the time and skills to do such things. I will have to limit my myself to the aforementioned motor/gearbox, 2 wheel drive and static crane. Sorry folks! :)

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Here's a grab I did earlier....!

That is just so good!:cool:

Once I've finished this project I'm going to take a break from S7 to give my eyes a rest. However, a working grab in G-scale (my other interest) might be worth exploring.

Mike

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
She ain't pretty.........
Seems an appropriate song lyric...

"She Ain't Pretty" is a single by Canadian rock band The Northern Pikes, from their 1990 album Snow in June. It is the song for which the Pikes are best known. The song was written by Bryan Potvin. It describes the singer's infatuation with a physically attractive woman, and his dismay at learning that she is a horrible person—a "model from Hell" (quote courtesy of Wiki).

Tony (@Osgood), given that most railway enthusiasts consider that locomotives are "female" then it seems to me that your comment can be replaced by "model from hell" without loss of meaning!

regards, Graham

Last edited: