Crane Locomotives

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Beauty is of course in the eyes of the beholder! ;)

Seriously though it is not a pretty loco, but I don't care! :) I seem to be drawn to these sorts of mechanical underdogs. Anyway it's just a possibility at the moment. I need to try and work out dimensions for wheels and valve gear to see if it's feasible. At least I won't be butchering a ready-to-run model for this project.

Mike

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
A mate has suggested my own model crane tank now needs a crew to finish it off. I don't suppose we have any clues as to what they might have been in the 1890s or 1900s?

Thinking about the loco working on a private siding within a foundry, I can imagine a driver/fireman and a crane operator, or a driver/crane operater and a fireman, or simply one operator on the loco while a second man assessed and approved the lift.

I don't want to ask a question where there is no definitive answer so I suppose really I want to know is whether to put one or two figures on the footplate.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
In John Woodhams' recent book on Crane Locomotives there is mention of a proposed crane locomotive based on the Adams B4. Apparently orders for three such engines were placed, but subsequently cancelled. Hmm, Dapol have released their O-scale B4. I think you can guess where this is headed! :eek:

So, after having my model converted to Scaleseven (thanks Col for carrying this out so quickly :thumbs:) I began the task of dismantling/conversion.

Just to remind myself what the Dapol model looked like before deconstruction.
20231122_132026.jpg20231122_132055.jpg
And now some deconstruction pics!
20231122_144616.jpg20231122_170945.jpg
Mike

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Please Mike, while the model is in bits, could you post a pic of the underneath of the footplate casting?

I have had an idea - build a scale chassis for a B4; and use the Dapol monoblock under a tram.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Next up is a Doxford Crane Tank. Based on plans the proprietor of Backwoods Miniatures kindly provided me with. The valve-gear almost defeated me and even now is a somewhat simplified version of the real thing.
View attachment 126217
View attachment 126218
View attachment 126219
View attachment 126220

Mike

That Mike is a absolute beauty, a real interesting loco & I believe most if not all of them are preserved to some extent.

I wish someone would do another kit for one of these. I've absolutely no use for one whatsoever but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Si

adrian

Flying Squad
In John Woodhams' recent book on Crane Locomotives there is mention of a proposed crane locomotive based on the Adams B4. Apparently orders for three such engines were placed, but subsequently cancelled. Hmm, Dapol have released their O-scale B4. I think you can guess where this is headed! :eek:
This is what I love about this forum. :thumbs: People are prepared to take a perfectly good RTR model out of the box and elevate it to something unexpected. I wonder if they ran a sweepstake at Dapol as to how long it would be before someone decided to have a go at kitbashing the B4 in such a way. Love to see this develop.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
That Mike is a absolute beauty, a real interesting loco & I believe most if not all of them are preserved to some extent.

I wish someone would do another kit for one of these. I've absolutely no use for one whatsoever but I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Si
I really struggled with the valve gear on my model (which of course is scratchbuilt to 7mm/1ft). If you ever manage to track down the Backwoods Miniatures kit, I'd love to see how you get on with that valve gear in 4mm/1ft! ;) Anyone up for making a 2mm/1ft version?

Mike

Last edited:

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I really struggled with the valve gear on my model (which of course is scratchbuilt to 7mm/1ft). If you ever manage to track down the Backwoods Miniatures kit, I'd love to see how you get on with that valve gear in 4mm/1ft! ;) Anyone up for making a 2mm/1ft version?

Mike

Mike I had a Backwoods kit buts it's actually HO scale apparently. I never got round to building it as a friend wanted one & I was put off by the scale difference.

The Backwoods kit had simplified valvegear from what a remember. Its a shame that range didn't see the light of day again.
When I spoke to Pete some years ago he said the range was going to be sold to someone awaiting a payment from a insurance company. I guess that never materialised before he moved to Spain.

Si