Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Experience has taught me not to blindly trust drawings prepared by others. You never know quite how accurate they are, which bits were precisely measured and which bits were estimated. There's are also drafting errors that can creep in.

One of the benefits of making a 3D mock up to start with is that you can look at it from various angles to see if it looks right compared to prototype photos. Here I have three good photos of the signal box which cover all sides. You're not always that lucky!

In this case, as I was measuring up the rear wall, something just didn't look right with the rear recesses. The lintels on the drawing scaled about 6" tall, which looked too thin compared to the more beefy version in the photo. Additionally, the blank wall above the recesses looked taller in the photo than on the drawing.

This is where my O Level technical drawing lessons come in useful...

PXL_20240824_084345093.jpg

The vanishing point of the rear wall horizontals was established. The base of the building worked out based on the height of the upper storey door being transferred to the locking room door below. The top and bottom of the building were then projected to the right from the vanishing point and the point found where the distance between them was the 111mm (height of wall from the drawing). You can then project all the horizontal lines in the photo onto this vertical line and find out what the heights should be...

The results were that the lintels were indeed too thin and the recesses were drawn too far up the wall. Happily most of the other verticals checked out nicely, which is always reassuring, and confirmed that I had the vanishing point and total height correct.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The build starts with the floor being attached to an end wall and 9mm wide spacers being butted up against the floor, sides and mid sections. I'm using the metal set squares to make sure the edge spacers are inline with the face edges. The square on the right was acquired from the estate of Iain Rice and I'm sure he'd be happy it's being used.
PXL_20240825_080350964.jpg

I did the same at the other end once the first was set. The the front and rear walls were added so that I had the main 'box' structure together. I then added a second layer of spacers on top of the first. All the work so far is from 40thou plasticard. I did try 30thou on another project but it has proven to be too thin for 7mm scale buildings, so I won't be doing that again.

PXL_20240825_084347707.jpg

The inner skins are then added and this really firms up the structure. The inner skins on each inside face were split horizontally and glued in two hits, the upper first then the lower. This guarantees more solvent gets between the spacers and the skin.

Just the inner skin for the rear face to fix now. I'm going to leave the rear recesses as openings to start with until the outside stonework and the reveals are done.

PXL_20240825_091905557.jpg

Amazing how the Wills sheets are never quite big enough! Not a problem though as they are going to be heavily abused for the final stonework finish. They are a good starting point though for the effect I want.

PXL_20240825_091848118.jpg

Last edited:

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Still trying to work out what this strange feature is.

PXL_20240824_200012226~3.jpg

It's not a buffer stop. Rack for fire buckets? Seems structural overkill for that though... Any ideas??

Fire buckets would have been either hung from the steps or on a rack near the door so they would be close to hand and not a the other end of the box.

It may well be/have been a set of buffers stops as there was originally a kickback siding from the turntable in the early days.

NLS OS 25 inch 1892-1914 series.

1892.jpg

NLS 1:1,250/1:2,500 1944-1973 series.

1944.jpg

Ideally would need to see more photos on Bodmin North Signal but they seem to be rather elusive.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Fire buckets would have been either hung from the steps or on a rack near the door so they would be close to hand and not a the other end of the box.

It may well be/have been a set of buffers stops as there was originally a kickback siding from the turntable in the early days.

NLS OS 25 inch 1892-1914 series.

View attachment 222438

NLS 1:1,250/1:2,500 1944-1973 series.

View attachment 222437

Ideally would need to see more photos on Bodmin North Signal but they seem to be rather elusive.

Hi Dave, I do have a photo of the original kick back siding but it did stop short of the box. Yes, photos of the box are quite elusive, I've got so many of where the box should be but with a train blocking the view.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Unless it was a secondary set made up of timber baulks to protect the box in case of a runaway crashing through the first set.

However, I don't think the structure is part of the signal box as the edges are too straight and there is no mortar lines around them. Perhaps it was used to prop items against rather than the signal box wall.

However, there is a timber baulk of similar colour density on top of the point rodding cover in front of the box.

Western Thunderer
You'll know the Turf as well then?
Not sure I would say ‘know’. I don’t think I have ever set foot inside — nor in the Double Locks come to that. But walked past on the opposite towpath countless times, albeit decades ago. I recognised your photo instantly, though, so the buildings left an impression. No family living in Exminster now (or even in SW England), so not somewhere I visit anymore.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Next weekend I'll be demonstrating making plastic buildings at the Gauge 0 Guild event at Stafford County Showground.

My stand that everything sits on was a bit of a last minute lash up at my previous demonstration session. I'd forgotten how much so. Lots of mods and some strengthening later now means this lot should be quicker to set up.

PXL_20240831_135723348.jpg

I'll have a workbench off to one side with work underway on one or two items.