Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
What is the stone? Do you know? It doesn’t look like Cornish granite, more like a sandstone perhaps? Almost certainly locally sourced so other nearby buildings — presumably still in existence — will be similar.
As well as granite, this part of the peninsula is also home to a deal of sedimentary rock. The cliffs at Widemouth, south of Bude, are a special oragami of folding and orangeness. The Cornish word for sedimentary rocks is killas. There's some nice folding between Cross Pit and Crooklets Beach; this is a photo I took yesterday...
F1A16BEC-73C6-49BF-972D-15039CE610AE.JPG
Cheers

Jan

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
As well as granite, this part of the peninsula is also home to a deal of sedimentary rock. The cliffs at Widemouth, south of Bude, are a special oragami of folding and orangeness. The Cornish word for sedimentary rocks is killas. There's some nice folding between Cross Pit and Crooklets Beach; this is a photo I took yesterday...
View attachment 222926
Cheers

Jan

Funky strata.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And the last opening is now filled. The Heath Robinson module is primed and painted up. Looks suitably tatty.
PXL_20240902_203617276.jpg

It does however however show up that the surrounding stonework needs a lot of work.

PXL_20240902_203521965.jpg

These extra three void-filling bits have really brought the building to life.

PXL_20240902_204056727.jpg

I can now fit the last row of slates.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Chris,

Bledy excellent work.

I think that before you start repainting the stonework, you have nothing to lose, by giving it a few light washes and see how much that changes the colouring and ties it all together.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris,

Bledy excellent work.

I think that before you start repainting the stonework, you have nothing to lose, by giving it a few light washes and see how much that changes the colouring and ties it all together.

Cheers Phil, yes it was always the intention to run over the existing bold starter colours with washes. I think they need to be heavier, and more patchy than I was originally intending though. I've done a little work this morning to see how that goes.