SimonD’s workbench

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
we both had ours four weeks ago and I just had a pinkish rash for a few days a week after having the jab. My brother and his wife live in Tunbridge Wells and had to go to Brighton for their jabs - would have been a nice journey in steam days.

regards

Mike

simond

Western Thunderer
Simon - that's quite typical from what I understand. Friends who've had the jab and Mrs D and I all had a sore arm for up to 48 hours.

Better that than the alternative though, eh?

Brian

Couldn't agree more.

Apart from a bit of a spring walk along the White Cliffs this morning, it’s been a lazy day.

image.jpg

little more work on the roofs, then glazing, transfers, weathering...

cheers
Simon

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
Late to the jab party. I had quite a bad reaction, severe chill in the evening following the inoculation at 9am that morning. Went to bed shaking and shivering and didn’t really recover fully for about 36 hours. I’ve never had a reaction to any jab before, including yellow fever, so a little surprised. Won’t stop me having the second one though. Roll out the Covid passports, Moor Street beckons!

Stay safe, y’all. Paul

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Had my jab this morning, my shoulder aches from time to time, a bit like someone punched it. But I'm glad to have had it, if it helps us to get out of lockdown and back to some sort of normality This lockdown just seems to drag on, I suppose that the weather has put a bit of a blight on going out for any length of time.

Still the hobby has been a godsend and I'm learning how to do the artwork for etching a couple of coaches.

Those vans are looking good, Simon.

simond

Western Thunderer
Phil,

you’ll be happy to hear that if mine’s anything to go by, it’ll be fine tomorrow, or maybe Wednesday.

yes, I agree that having a hobby that is both absorbing, and indoor, has been vital over the winter.

thanks for the kind comment, I’ll try to get some photos in better light at the weekend - might even get the transfers on!

Atb
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Mmm, we have a problem, Houston.

it appears that 25” yellow letters & numbers are in short supply. I need 4 x “GW”, 2 x “112” and 2 x “118”.

it is possible (if expensive, as I would need to buy several sheets) to get the “GW”, and given that the vehicles will have been mythically reassigned to Porth Dinllaen, I suppose they could have been numbers 111 and 117, which would be rather easier to hand paint, if that is the only way out. Never tried hand lettering...

My usual suspects would be HMRS, Fox & POWSides. Any other suggestions?

cheers
Simon

adrian

Flying Squad
Mmm, we have a problem, Houston.

it appears that 25” yellow letters & numbers are in short supply. I need 4 x “GW”, 2 x “112” and 2 x “118”.

it is possible (if expensive, as I would need to buy several sheets) to get the “GW”, and given that the vehicles will have been mythically reassigned to Porth Dinllaen, I suppose they could have been numbers 111 and 117, which would be rather easier to hand paint, if that is the only way out. Never tried hand lettering...

My usual suspects would be HMRS, Fox & POWSides. Any other suggestions?
As mentioned WEP do a "Yellow" set - I have been looking for a set of transfers to finish off my Siphon. I thought I'd sorted it as Railtec do a set but when I got them they turned out to be gold and fractionally too large so don't fit in the framing.

I spotted the WEP transfers and ordered a set. Unfortunately I'm not a great expert on the GWR but I expected the yellow lettering to be well sort of yellowish. These maybe the prototypical shade of "yellow" but they look more faded gold than yellow (and in gloss!)

So the photo below - the small set at the top the Railtec Gold Siphon transfers and below a WEB "yellow" set. Okay it's just the phone camera shot but still not convinced.

The large GW are a whisker under 15mm high and I won't be using them so I'm happy to cut out and send them on to you with a few of the numbers if you are happy with the colour.
transfers - 1.jpeg

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon,

I was not up as late as Adrian and am therefore only just reading your plea and having just read it, reached for my 'Transfers' binder to confirm that I have exactly the same pristine sheet from WEP as Adrian is offering, only to discover Adrian's post as I scrolled further down the thread. If the postie fails to deliver Adrian's sheet, let me know and I'll put mine in the post. Always nice to know that you have a reserve set 'on hand'.

Stay safe and well

regards

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
It’s a good job the others have stepped into the breach. My memory was faulty, and I don’t actually have lettering for brown vehicles in my store.

As you were!

simond

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

Given the quality of the kits, this is a bit of a surprise. Still I had an inkling, so I should have checked earlier.

I intend to mount the steam heat & vac pipes on a “subframe”, which would have been secured with the same screw, but it now looks like I’ll have to arrange a couple of screws offset from the centreline.

I’m not hugely bothered by having space for a spring, I’ve taken to using a bit of silicone rubber tube, which provides some resilience from shock, but doesn’t let the hook pull out of the buffer beam - a particular issue with most RTR in my view, some of which don’t seem to have springs with enough stiffness for 2mm, let alone 7.

the other option is simply to solder the hook to the back of the buffer beam, but that isn’t attractive after I’ve done the paint.

I’ll drill and tap a bit of thicker stuff and epoxy it inside. Job for tomorrow perhaps. Same issue on the riding van too. :(

Need to black the hooks anyway so I’ll do that tonight. Steel ones don’t look too bad, but brass hooks look daft!

image.jpg

these are from Bill at Premier. I have filed the hooks to give a more triangular section in plan view, and I always crimp the last couple of threads to stop them unscrewing in service. Very irritating anytime, but particularly on a garden line.

I’ve glazed the “cold frames” for the tool van roof too, (and the doors) and opened out the holes for the roof furniture, but I’ll leave gluing all this on ‘til I’ve sorted the screws underneath.

image.jpg

I’ll have a go at glazing the riding van tonight.

cheers
Simon

Final assy riding van & packing van

simond

Western Thunderer
Firstly, thanks to Adrian for the transfers, arrived yesterday, they’ll get used over the weekend, much appreciated.

the issue with the fixing screws is resolved, along with the vac & steam bags, by making a couple of bolt-on carriers, the offset 10BA fixings will secure these carriers to the body and the chassis is trapped between the two. I didn’t bother with an extra thickness of brass, I’ll just have to go gently...

image.jpg

And I can paint them before installation, which I prefer.

need to make a set for the other van now.

more soon
Simon