SimonD’s workbench

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
"Closed and ground" is the description of what was done to the spring...

Simon, your drawing of the suspension springs looks just so. I do hope that you started with a trapezoidal section as did the spring shop... When wound the cross-section of the steel became square!

Rgds, G

Last edited:

JimG

Western Thunderer
Simon,

These were the rear springs for a Caledonian Class 782 tank in1:32 scale which I did over five years ago.

Cal782Pug-058.jpg

The springs were actually free and worked if you prodded them around with a cocktail stick, but the bolts and plates were solid so there was no danger of them being called into action. :)

3D printed on my old Phrozen Shuffle using the original Phrozen resin.

Jim.

simond

Western Thunderer
There is something very satisfying about things like springs.

Graham, I drew it with square wire. I’m aware of various wire sections being used, of course, but was not aware that these springs were trapezoid.

As an aside, we do get through a few metres of square section 40mm dia tension spring at work, we sell it as an electrode to test pipe coatings, if anyone wants some, do let me know!

well, the slicing and island detection has gone quite well, only 4 islands, and I doubt they matter. On with the print, and whilst that’s cooking, I shall do the remaining metalwork, and then strip the chassis for paint.

simond

Western Thunderer
Stripped for clean and paint!

image.jpg

I hope I’ve done all the mechanical soldering on the chassis so it’s about to get a good “Jiffing” followed by a relaxing sauna ultrasonic bath, and when dry, then a dose of Halfords best, and then some “not quite black” acrylic.

Then the fun starts.

I still have to make brake linkages and cross beams. The printer has a couple of hours to go.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Simon,

These were the rear springs for a Caledonian Class 782 tank in1:32 scale which I did over five years ago.

View attachment 222857

The springs were actually free and worked if you prodded them around with a cocktail stick, but the bolts and plates were solid so there was no danger of them being called into action. :)

3D printed on my old Phrozen Shuffle using the original Phrozen resin.

Jim.

Jim,

Those springs look pretty close to the safety valve springs on type 12 and 14 frigates.

simond

Western Thunderer
My springs didn’t print well, more work required. A few other bits will need a bit of attention, I cocked up the speaker housing, made it too wide to fit between the frames, and the decorative angle across the frame spacer at the front has come out curved, again. Better support required.

And I forgot a bit of mechanical soldering, the pins for the damn brakes! D’oh! A real Homer moment! That’s going to get done now, so I can re-wash and re-prime the frames.

but I am turbo-delighted with the crossheads! And the balance weights fit like they were designed for the job :)

image.jpg

Crosshead gudgeon pin finishing jig

IMG_0967.jpeg

Filed down and slit for screwdriver

IMG_0963.jpeg

And installed

IMG_0966.jpeg

And from the front

IMG_0965.jpeg

The other soldering job is fitting the vac pump to the motion bracket - need to silver solder the pipes to it first.

that’s tonight’s project.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
My springs didn’t print well, more work required. A few other bits will need a bit of attention, I cocked up the speaker housing, made it too wide to fit between the frames, and the decorative angle across the frame spacer at the front has come out curved, again. Better support required.

And I forgot a bit of mechanical soldering, the pins for the damn brakes! D’oh! A real Homer moment! That’s going to get done now, so I can re-wash and re-prime the frames.

but I am turbo-delighted with the crossheads! And the balance weights fit like they were designed for the job :)

View attachment 222976

Crosshead gudgeon pin finishing jig

View attachment 222977

Filed down and slit for screwdriver

View attachment 222978

And installed

View attachment 222979

And from the front

View attachment 222980

The other soldering job is fitting the vac pump to the motion bracket - need to silver solder the pipes to it first.

that’s tonight’s project.

Wow!!

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
Contrary to rumour, objectives, hopes and expectations, 1368 will not be making an appearance at Stand D3 at Stafford.

its a shame, because I’m close, but not close enough, so it’ll have to wait a wee while longer.

1725516663283.jpeg

“Close but no cigar!”

brass things to make / solder
sheet metal brake cross beams
solder shunters step to frames. DONE
injector drains DONE
brake cross shaft solder to frames DONE

things to 3DP
new brake cylinder. 3D done DONE
brake shaft bearings. 3D done DONE not fitted
crossheads. 3D done DONE
balance weights. 3D done DONE
rear sandboxes. 3D done DONE not fitted
Rivetted angle across front of frames between cylinders - to reprint a bit thicker. 3D amended DONE not fitted
Weird bit of frame extension under bunker - to model and 3DP DONE not fitted
Speaker enclosure - 3D done DONE
Cab springs DONE

things to fit
Brakes - hangers and frame brackets, shoes. Trial fit is good.
Brake pull rods
Drain cocks - castings in the box
Vac pump - casting in the box
Vac pump spindle
decoder wiring & program

one or possibly two extra tasks, need a thick washer either side between coupling and connecting rods, and think I need to shorten the driving crankpin to miss the vac pump.

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Contrary to rumour, objectives, hopes and expectations, 1368 will not be making an appearance at Stand D3 at Stafford.

its a shame, because I’m close, but not close enough, so it’ll have to wait a wee while longer.

View attachment 223149

“Close but no cigar!”

brass things to make / solder
sheet metal brake cross beams
solder shunters step to frames. DONE
injector drains DONE
brake cross shaft solder to frames DONE

things to 3DP
new brake cylinder. 3D done DONE
brake shaft bearings. 3D done DONE not fitted
crossheads. 3D done DONE
balance weights. 3D done DONE
rear sandboxes. 3D done DONE not fitted
Rivetted angle across front of frames between cylinders - to reprint a bit thicker. 3D amended DONE not fitted
Weird bit of frame extension under bunker - to model and 3DP DONE not fitted
Speaker enclosure - 3D done DONE
Cab springs DONE

things to fit
Brakes - hangers and frame brackets, shoes. Trial fit is good.
Brake pull rods
Drain cocks - castings in the box
Vac pump - casting in the box
Vac pump spindle
decoder wiring & program

one or possibly two extra tasks, need a thick washer either side between coupling and connecting rods, and think I need to shorten the driving crankpin to miss the vac pump.

Given the extreme efforts so far, I still think a cigar is deserved.

simond

Western Thunderer
This evening, I had a bit of a look at my wonga from the weekend. I was very self-disciplined, as along with some metal, and some components from Slaters, I only purchased three second hand Parkside Mica Bs in various states. Providing you’re not in a hurry, buying and refurbishing second hand wagons is quite a good way to build a collection of stock, and is very much cheaper (and poses more interesting challenges) than buying new kits.

One beautifully built, transferred & lettered, lightly weathered, with AJ couplings,
One heavily weathered with one set of brakes back to front,
One not quite finished, with no transfers.

I removed the AJs from the nicest one, it'll need a little more weight. The heavily weathered one needed some remedial action on the chassis. The buffers also need a bit of attention, and I‘ll give it a further coat of looking at in a day or so. I’m going to have to print a door locking bar and some end steps for the third one.

So far, they have all been fitted with Premier screw couplings, and the wheels cleaned.

Signals. Again…

simond

Western Thunderer
Some of the metal I purchased was to make the trimmers for this.

The posts are @Jon Fitness etches.
image.jpg

Which will replace this which may have been “squirrelled” on JM’s outdoor line

image.jpg

The jig is a few 3DP pieces and provides the cross hole for the wire to the lamp, and location to solder on the pivot tube.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I shall do them later.

Progress so far is quite pleasing :)

Just found the previous attempt

Post in thread 'SimonD’s workbench'
SimonD’s workbench

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
And a few hours today…

IMG_2727.jpeg

sorry, disappointing photo. But you get the idea…

The etched posts, and all-soldered construction throws a few minor challenges, but I reckon it’s much easier than the old way with sticks & glue. Not that I’ve built very many. As an aside, this is definitely a job for the RSU.

simond

Western Thunderer
Too many distractions of late, but the workbench has been cleared, and, ooh look! A pannier…

IMG_1150.jpeg

And most of the required bits to finish it

I managed to shorten the cranking so it now doesn’t clout the vac pump, which is an improvement. The lack of clearances on this loco is trying…

Perhaps we’re on the final straight, perhaps.