Crane Locomotives

Osgood

Western Thunderer
This is my favourite crane locomotive because it was the very first I came across - in an 1876 volume of either The Engineer or Engineering. Scrapped in early 1920s when the works closed (info from IRS article).
I have a suspicion there was a G.A. or detailed drawing or sorts in the article too - should I take a look in my file? :eek:

View attachment 126241

Re post #13: having given up the search a long while back I just found the drawings while looking for something else - I'd mis-filed them :rolleyes:
Oblique views only here as I'm not sure where we stand with copyright on material from the Engineering journal.
At least you now have the reference, Oct 13th 1876 - are these journals accessible online?

BH Crane loco 1.jpeg BH Crane loco 2.jpeg

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I acquired a Dapol Sentinel last year. After Col (Eastside Pilot) waved his magic wand over the wheels and converted it to Scale7 standards I was going to use it as a shunting loco. However..... I was aware that Sentinel built a couple of ash grab locos for the LNER. So, I thought I'd have a go at building one using the Dapol model as the basis.
20210108_172110.jpg

Chop, chop!
20210109_154909.jpg

Extended wheelbase. I was keen to keep it four wheel drive, so I acquired some extra Dapol gears.
20210119_192029.jpg
20210120_121319.jpg

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The prototype appears to use a steam engine to power the crane, but the kit has an internal combustion engine. Fair enough. Let's assume the original steam engine wore out and the crane manufacturer provided an upgrade. ;) The rest of my model will be less than 100% accurate (as usual), so no worries. :D

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I've just got to figure out how the various cables and pulleys work and where they go. The instructions that come with the crane kit omit this rather vital information! :rant:

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
A slight diversion today. I noticed yesterday that 'Southwick' had suffered a nasty paint chip to the side of her cab. :mad: Fortunately she comes apart quite easily and I'm midway through patching up the paintwork. I thought I'd post a few pictures showing how she comes apart. Makes maintenance a lot easier. The smokebox door is held on with mini-magnets!
20210207_102841.jpg
20210207_102943.jpg
20210207_103000.jpg
20210207_103025.jpg
Mike