Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
In other news...

The big extension has had the brickwork added to the window surrounds.
IMG_20230305_163943.jpg

The stone overlay has been cut to shape. Takes a while but I'm getting quicker at it.
IMG_20230305_181246.jpg

The two combined. Going to need a bit of filler on places as I'm obviously not working to the same tolerances as @mickoo.
IMG_20230305_182433.jpg

The sides and front (rear?) are now done. Next task is to work on the brick coursing around the window openings. Then putting the bits together.
IMG_20230305_183054_1.jpg

I can't quite decide yet whether to fix the extension to the house back now or later. Going to have to fix it at some point as the roof of this extension and the main building do interact.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Up early again. Spot of modelling done. Interior floors and walls added to the extension. Also been around filling the various gaps and holes. The vertical corners of the extension have been gunked too as I want some slightly larger corner stones. These will be scribed once the filler has hardened.

IMG_20230306_070015.jpg

I've said previously that the strengthening ribs work best on large flat walls. With the rear extension I decided not to use them as, by the time the interior floors and walls are in, it's quite well braced. The walls that join the main building have had a rib added to keep them straight.

IMG_20230306_070640_1.jpg

I'm actually now considering bolting the extension to the main building. I've got a load of brass etch from kits and will solder some nuts to a strip of that and add to the extension in 4 locations. Bolts will go in from the rear of the main building and have brass washers to stop them digging in. That's the current thought anyway.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Mikkel (on RMW) has used magnets to good effect in a similar situation.
Avoids needing to get inside.
Dowels might be useful for alignment.

I may do the same for the offices on my ginormous goods shed.

That's an interesting idea Simon. They'd have to be quite strong though as I wouldn't want the sections drifting apart. On the plus side it would give some adjustment potential and location dowels could be added once everything was finalised and in place.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Mikkel (on RMW) has used magnets to good effect in a similar situation.
Avoids needing to get inside.
Dowels might be useful for alignment.

I may do the same for the offices on my ginormous goods shed.

Having thought about this in the morning I've gone and ordered some neodymium magnets. Always hard to see from the info provided how sticky or strong they will be. And hard to know how strong you need them to be. We'll see...

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Chris, I would recommend that you try the magnets on some scrap or offcuts first, they can be quite strong, you might only need a magnet on one side and a bit of steel on the other side.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Chris, I would recommend that you try the magnets on some scrap or offcuts first, they can be quite strong, you might only need a magnet on one side and a bit of steel on the other side.

I was thinking just that Phil. They should arrive on Thursday so experimenting can start then.

They are only 2x5x10mm and will have to pull through 3mm of plasticard. I do have some steel strip offcuts and an angle grinder...