Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
After all these year I've forgotten what the building's purpose was, but I'm sure you will have mentioned it.

At some point it had "Steven's Corn Store" painted on the upper doors (before they were replaced with wrinkly tin). I've done lots of searches over the years and found out very little indeed about the building, when it was built, or indeed when it was demolished.

Over the years I just refer to it as the Grain Store.

It preceded the LSWR terminus at Bodmin North and was there at least before the coming of the original B&W freight only line. As to why it's such a peculiar shape, who knows....?

PXL_20240903_173412189~2.jpg

Last edited:

AndyH

Speaking of Cornish... This current building is a great example of progressing things "drektly"....
Drekly or drekkly or even dreckly.
Would have replied earlier but had to look up mañana…

Very inspirational. For a colour check I’d look at the old Victoria Barracks buildings on Castle Canyke Road along from The Keep and Bodmin General. It is closest to the photo though they maybe are more modern buildings (1860 odd). Next time I’m up I will take photos. North Cornwall (shudders).

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Drekly or drekkly or even dreckly.
Would have replied earlier but had to look up mañana…

Very inspirational. For a colour check I’d look at the old Victoria Barracks buildings on Castle Canyke Road along from The Keep and Bodmin General. It is closest to the photo though they maybe are more modern buildings (1860 odd). Next time I’m up I will take photos. North Cornwall (shudders).

Indeed Andy, shouldn't have the extra t in there but I gave up fighting the extra letters the auto correct was trying to add.

Will definitely check out the buildings you've mentioned and report back....

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Spookily, only days after saying I was struggling to find out more about the building, this post popped up on FB....

‘ After a lot of research we now know they were called Railway Wharf. Built around 1850 on a triangular site by Charles Crabb, it contained various businesses including agricultural feed merchants (Stevens/ Blamey), a carriage builder, (Broad, Hender & Scott) and Charles Crabb himself who amongst his many interests included ‘auctioneers and valuers coal, timber and manures and finally mechanical engineering’ Kelly’s directory’s, many of which are online, helped identify the buildings address and the company’s within. They appear behind many of the pictures of the station from the B&W days to rebuilding under the Sou’western ‘

And the clearest view I've seen to date of the complex...
FB_IMG_1725422396837.jpg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Looking at the lay of the land, it slopes down towards the station.
Most likely a retaining wall was built to allow the creation of a level yard, and the buildings were subsequently built on top of the retaining wall.
Just the way a lot of industrial buildings were constructed.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Out of interest and curiosity I downloaded the NLS OS extracts for this section:

1:500/1:528 Towns 1840s-1890s. Shows the track through the building to the coal store and a tank/pond with a sluice for a water powered device.

NLS 1840s 1890s.jpg

This section shows the wagon turntables with the tracks leading to various stores.

NLS 1840s 1890s 2.jpg

25 inch 1892-1914
NLS 1892 1914.jpg

1:2,500 A ed 1948-1973
NLS 1944 1973.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Out of interest and curiosity I downloaded the NLS OS extracts for this section:

1:500/1:528 Towns 1840s-1890s. Shows the track through the building to the coal store and a tank/pond with a sluice for a water powered device.

View attachment 223109

This section shows the wagon turntables with the tracks leading to various stores.

View attachment 223108

25 inch 1892-1914
View attachment 223107

1:2,500 A ed 1948-1973
View attachment 223106

Yes, the earlier plans are the original B&W period freight only wharf. A line ran through the grain store to deliver coal.

The later period maps are after the LSWR redeveloped the site and built a passenger terminus and goods yard. To do so, a number of the original wharf buildings were demolished and the ground level was lowered by 3' or so. The difference in levels meant the line through the grain store had to be removed.