SimonD’s workbench

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the link Simon, I was blown away by the density of some of the overall city type shots. Looking at Paddington from the air give a whole new perspective to my memories at street level. and some lovely restored buildings as well.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, it’s startling, isn’t it? I think we quite forget the railways’ impact on society, town planning, everything, as we are so used to the car, van & truck.

On t’other channel a while back, there was a very interesting discussion about urban transport, and the reliance we had on horses. The rail traffic generated by bringing in fodder, and removing manure, and dead horses, was similarly astonishing to modern eyes.

I can’t remember the numbers, but will have a look.

simond

Western Thunderer

and the link will take you indirectly to an estimate I made in 2019

I think life for a working horse was quite hard, and little to compare with today’s horses, which are, for the most part, hobby animals, in a far more caring society.

apart from the wagon loads of horse manure that were shipped out of big cities daily, (which has been a previous discussion in these hallowed halls) I rather suspect a fair number of beasts turned their toes (or hooves) skyward each day.

Of course, the railways could afford convalescent horses. Steptoe & son could not, and if the horse didn’t work, likely they didn’t eat. And within living memory too. I was born in 1958, so this is marginally before my time.

“The horse was king, and almost everything grew around him: fodder, smithies, stables, paddocks, distances and the rhythm of our days. His eight miles an hour was the limit of our movements, as it had been since the days of the Romans. That eight miles an hour was life and death, the size of our world, our prison…Then, to the scream of the horse, the change began. The brass-lamped motor car came coughing up the road. Soon the village would break, dissolve and scatter, become no more than a place for pensioners.”
(Laurie Lee's description of village life before the motor car - Cider with Rosie, 1959)

There were about 3.5 million horses in the uk at the turn of the 1900’s. Assuming a twenty year life, that would suggest nigh on 500 dying each day. That’s around 200 tons of dead horse to dispose of, daily!

It's likely that the life of a working horse was a deal less than 20 years, probably less than fifteen. It's a lot of horse to deal with (food, glue, leather) in any case.

neaston

Western Thunderer
There was a horse butcher in the Tolcross area of Edinburgh which shut down. It then became a shop that sold second hand tyres !!
I doubt that a working horse in a city lasted more than 10 years. There were alot of equine infectious diseases around which are almost unknown today, eg strangles.
Nick

michael mott

Western Thunderer
There is an interesting book by George Sturt called "The Wheelwrights Shop" it outlines the work during the latter days of the industry in the village workshop. It gives a colourful account of the daily labours of the industry and an enjoyable read.

michael

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
During our tour of Kingsway Tram Tunnel we were advised that the working life of a cab or bus/tram horse was around three years.

Brian

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Further to the discussion about horsepower.
Here is a piece from 'The Locomotive' of 1903 regarding several shocking accidents, on the Weston branch of the Bristol & Exeter.
Where horses seem to have been preferred to steam power for economy.
Note the perilous 'absence of quick acting brake power.....'

Peter

HORSE WORKED RAILWAYS.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
ye gods, that’s terrifying.

Brian,

three years, that’s pretty grim too!

Nick,

Infectious Diseases of the ‘orse. Probably required reading for station masters! I do recalling reading about it when I was first learning to ride, haven’t given the strangles a thought since, though we did see the Stranglers last year (or was it the year before?)

simond

Western Thunderer
Back to the bench. A deal of pre-painting before assembly.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

and a couple of grooves to put the wiring for lighting within the wall. I’ve still got some GoW bulbs, which are not as tiny as LEDs, but do give a better colour light in my opinion. Still we’re a while away from that yet.

image.jpg

The kit is nicely lasered, very clean lines with next to no fluff, as you would expect. The only obvious omission is internal brick etch, and a crane. I’ll live without the brickwork, I’ll just give the interior a bit of an airbrushing with a dusty black to tone down the brilliant white primer, but I’ll need to do a crane (or two?).

I’ll have to have a dig for photos or a drawing. If anyone has any references, I’d be grateful.

simond

Western Thunderer
It’s quite big…

image.jpg

I’m pondering what else would be better done with the sides and ends not assembled. I guess the grey overwash on the interior, and fit all the window frames.

I also need to ease the slots for the ridge timber so the roof can be removable.

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
This is one detail I probably won’t add to Moor Street:

The stables were underground with vents reaching up to the wall of the viaduct. I can remember two horse and carts positioned at the top of the cobblestone Bull Ring. That would have been around 1952. Each horse had two hessian bags, on the the front, one of the back. It’s funny what you remember!

simond

Western Thunderer
I think a few horses and carts / wagons will adorn PD when I finally get round to building it.

We have taken a step closer. I now know what lies under the garage. Pending the structural engineer’s practiced eye, the extension can go on the foundations we have, suitably lengthened. Fingers crossed, progress…

simond

Western Thunderer
Corner 1 glued

B03DCDB3-706A-4A48-9977-F4438DADD566.jpegimage.jpg
I’ll leave that for a few hours and then it’ll be much easier to fit the other two walls.

I’m quite pleased with the wooden platform deck - I masked & sprayed the stone copings, then dry-brushed acrylics, then airbrushed some very thin Vallejo shading spray trying to leave the areas where the staff would have walked a bit cleaner.

Haven’t found any internal pictures or details of the crane(s). Might have to make it up.

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Bill

It’s very much the sort of thing, though given it’s location, I suspect it’s not GW. I imagine they were much of a muchness however.

I shall search a little further, and if no luck, I’d be grateful for your other pictures - may I PM you?

Bill Campbell

Western Thunderer
Thanks Bill

It’s very much the sort of thing, though given it’s location, I suspect it’s not GW. I imagine they were much of a muchness however.

I shall search a little further, and if no luck, I’d be grateful for your other pictures - may I PM you?
Of course - no problem.