Prototype Tim Mills' Photos

Not impossible, but I think unlikely. 1. Axleboxes did get changed, and were more or less interchangeable within RCH specs under BR. The LMS certainly had flat front axleboxes too. 2. The vee hanger is definitely ‘V’ shaped and that was pretty unusual for LNER standard chassis. The angle makes it quite hard to say either way. All that said, I haven’t knowingly seen a picture of an LNER banana van…

Adam
The point about the shape of the V hanger is a good one, and prompts the further suggestion that this is a former refrigerator van for which the LNER had 357 built to two diagrams - 20 and 21 - with a further 21 built for the CLC and assigned the diagram number 5081. These vans were fitted with symmetrical V hangers (as in the photo), and in many cases had the roof hatches and access ladders with which they were originally equipped removed upon conversion to goods or fish vans.

Another potentially relevant characteristic is the door bumper. Commonly on the LMS vans these were prominent fittings measuring approximately 12" by 2"-3" and mounted at the same height as the middle hinges. No fittings of similar appearance are present on the van under discussion; instead it carries what seem likely to be small door bumpers at the level of the door latching handle - also a feature to be found on the LNER-designed refrigerator vans.

Hard to tell from the photograph, but the impression I get is that the ends were horizontally planked rather than vertically, which would again point to this being an LNER vehicle rather than the LMS design of banana van. In any event, absent a convincing case for the V hanger being on the vehicle's centreline, its apparent offset provides a strong indication by itself that the brake gear is of LNER design.

An interesting and fairly uncommon vehicle, whatever its origin.

Western Thunderer
Looks like LNER clasp brake gear to me, short offset brake lever, plus the vertical end stanchions, planking and roof curve looks LNER too. The axle boxes also slope backwards from the bottom upwards, so also look LNE.

Maybe we could ask Brian @oldravendale for a close up scan of the wagons? The BR insulated vans also look interesting.

Could this be a train destined for Smithfield?

It's always fun identifying the wagons.
Tony