SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Larry

They couldn’t do the angio because of the Covid!

They did do x-ray and ultrasound and they appeared good.

I think if I’d been in more of a mess, they’d have found a way to do the angio, but they concluded it can wait a week. I await the results with more than academic interest!

Andy P

Western Thunderer
Well, it’s been a strange few days.

I got up last Friday, showered, had my brekky, got on my motorbike and went to work. About an hour later, the ambulance delivered me to the William Harvey Hospital with a query cardiac event. Various blood and other tests suggested that it was probable that I’d had a very minor heart attack. Just to add to the fun, I discovered that I had Covid too.

They let me out last night, with a bag of drugs and strict instructions not to do anything exciting for a week, as they’re going to do the angiogram that they would have already done had I not had bl00dy Covid, next Friday.

So a rather tedious & boring week in hospital, but I’ve been very well looked-after and I’m apparently in pretty good condition.

Of course my thoughts turn to a few modellers who have been less lucky than I have. Grahame H & Chris K spring to mind.

Anyway, “taking things very easy” does include making some progress on shelf queens, and during last Tuesday evening’s ”Beer & 8ollocks” conference call, my pal Bryan had described using his bending bars as a combined vice and guide to trim the edges of a brass coach roof. I applied the same approach to the roof of the M14 van, and it’s come out rather better than my attempts at laser cutting a planked frame was doing, so I’m going with that. I’ll cover it with cartridge paper as I have with most of my other coaches. Photos to follow.

Cheers all
Simon
Wow Simon, Sorry to read of your wowes, I too was one of the lucky ones, with a mild Stoke in June 2014 and Heart Attack in Jan 2018. I have recovered from both I'm pleased to say, BUT I have slowed down considerably, and make sure my medication is with me at all times. I hope they get the Angiogram done and your body sorted. Mine was to have a Stent fitted within a couple of hours of the Heart Attack, and I came around and felt fantastic. Take care, as you say, there are others not as lucky.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Sorry to hear about your news Simon but very glad you seem to be ok and in good hands. I have it on good authority that modelling the Southern is really good for you, much better than the high stress GWR. You know what needs to be done...

jonte

Western Thunderer
Sincerely sorry to read that you’ve been in the wars of late, Simon, but pleased that you seem in your usual high spirits :thumbs:

Good luck with further tests and btw, the coach looks tremendous!

Best wishes,

Jon

Dangerous Davies

Western Thunderer
Sorry to read of your woes Simon, enjoy your time working on the 'shelf queens'.

Best wishes and I hope you are back on the motorbike soon!

Dave

Giles

Western Thunderer
Extremely sorry to hear of this Simon, but delighted that it isn't worse, and that they're on the case.......
Enjoy your genteel therapy. Coach is looking good!

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Simon,
A couple of my friends are GPs, both are continually talking up the benefits of a hobby to relieve stress rather than drugs. Certainly a session building something works for me. Take care and enjoy your medicine.
Ian.

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
Look after yourself, Simon, and all the best for your test results. I find tiny trains to be a terrific tonic, and I look forward to seeing more of your excellent work.

Cheers

Jan

AJC

Western Thunderer
Hello Simon,

Glad to hear that you're resting up - these things are always nerve-wracking for the person concerned and those around them. I'm glad that you're ok and hopefully recovering well. Take care of yourself.

Adam

michael080

Western Thunderer
Simon,

best wishes and swift recovery, I guess if the ultrasonic didn't show anything concerning, you're on a good way.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for your kind regards. It’s much appreciated.

I’ve had a gentle morning, whilst ‘er ladyship was falling off an ‘orse (happily without injury).

I fitted a plate inside the roof which carries a couple of very strong magnets that were part of the box a bottle of Balblair Whisky came in, and just in case, I put a couple of nuts on there too. The matching magnets are glued under a couple of bits of brass which are soldered under the cantrails.

image.jpg

having tried it in place, it is almost strong enough to lift the whole vehicle by the roof, so the nuts won’t get used.

I’ve also been making the steps for the bogies, there are two on each side of each bogie, so a jig is needed. There are a couple of photos in post 267, and another couple here. It’s cheap & cheerful, made from coffee stirrers, it’ll do the job, and it’ll get taken off the block when I’ve finished.

image.jpg

step upside down in jig, located by end pieces and wedge.

image.jpg

brackets located against side supports, solder to bottom of strp

image.jpg

finished articles, just need to file back the cut ends of the brackets, and solder to the bogie with low melt.

Last edited: