SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Your first reference is Russell GW Coaches 1903-1948, page 37:

photo 46 is coach number 9527 “demoted to third class finer and finished in 1935 (shirtbutton) livery”

photo 47 is 9526 in BR Maroon on 6W bogies. It’s very dark, but I’d say it still has panelling below the waist.

fig 150 in this book is an E99 70’ brake compo, fig 151 is a horse box! Fig 152 is a D56 Brake 3rd., so not the same book.

it’s not the earlier Russell either, fig 151 is a low roof E60 compo, & fig 152 is a clerestory brake 3rd to diag D29.

Harris doesn’t have “Fig’ numbers, so I guess your second references come from another OPC book, but I don’t have it.

if/when you find out, do please let me know.

atb
Simon

daifly

Western Thunderer
Lots, 1114, 1115, 1118 page 37, Fig 46 & 47 (9526 in fig 47 in BR maroon is of particular interest)

Diagram H11, H12, H13, no page but Figs, 150, 151, 152 (9527 in fig 152 with steel paneling is of particular interest all be it in GWR colours)
The first figures are in A Pictorial Record of Great Western Coaches (Part Two 1903 - 1948) by J H Russell pub OPC

The second group are in Great Western Coaches Appendix vol 2. by J H Russell pub OPC

Dave

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Your first reference is Russell GW Coaches 1903-1948, page 37:

photo 46 is coach number 9527 “demoted to third class finer and finished in 1935 (shirtbutton) livery”

photo 47 is 9526 in BR Maroon on 6W bogies. It’s very dark, but I’d say it still has panelling below the waist.

fig 150 in this book is an E99 70’ brake compo, fig 151 is a horse box! Fig 152 is a D56 Brake 3rd., so not the same book.

it’s not the earlier Russell either, fig 151 is a low roof E60 compo, & fig 152 is a clerestory brake 3rd to diag D29.

Harris doesn’t have “Fig’ numbers, so I guess your second references come from another OPC book, but I don’t have it.

if/when you find out, do please let me know.

atb
Simon
Simon,

Cheers, the second book is one I've seen before as I recognise the layout of the page, probably even had it years ago in my collection.

20220313_165552.jpg

I think the lower picture (Fig 152) is the same post rebuild photo as the one you do have, aka Fig 46

simond

Western Thunderer
Yes, looks like it.

I do have the first 40 or so GWRJs. I doubt there are any drawings in them, but if you want to have a dig in the online index, if there’s anything in there I can let you know if it’s of any use.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yes, looks like it.

I do have the first 40 or so GWRJs. I doubt there are any drawings in them, but if you want to have a dig in the online index, if there’s anything in there I can let you know if it’s of any use.
Sure, leave it with me and I'll trawl through, NRM should also have something but then I think a lot of stuff ended up at Didcot.

simond

Western Thunderer
Jigs: Raymond Walley had remarked in his build notes that the steps on the bogie were a bit of a pain, and required some consistency in manufacture. I knocked up the jig here from some coffee stirrers and my “useful bit of wood”, and have made the first two steps.

The steps are 5x2 angle, might be a tad shy on the width but I didn’t have any 7. The brackets are folded from NS etch scrap.

This is a repeatable job, and not too fiddly, with the help of the jig. The short steps at the end might be more of a challenge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The brackets are folded to a sharp right angle, and held against the wood at the top of the picture, and against one of the side supports, and soldered on. The rest of the strip is then snipped off from the front of the step, and the other bracket fitted the same way on t’other side. The little wedge holds the step hard up against the useful block. After soldering up, it’s easy to file the brackets down underneath to make them less obvious. The brackets are adjusted, tinned, and low-temp soldered to the bogie.

The other comment that Raymond made was that the Wayoh bogies were the wrong pattern for this vehicle. I suspect these Cavalier ones are the same, as they have volute secondary suspension to bolsters between the axles, which were the type used on Mick’s restaurant car, but it appears the original M14 van had Dean style scroll irons at the ends of the bogie. I’ve not seen that on a 6W bogie before. The photos in Russell are not very big, and the bogies are, of course, in shadow, so I’ll need to go looking for details. Meanwhile, I’ll finish building these, and if I do build the others, I can swap them out, as long as I use the same offset to the pivot.

simond

Western Thunderer
A little more progress in the M14 van, tumblehome formed around some sanded wood, didn't quite work as I hoped but it’s definitely there, and will shape up ok when the bulkheads are soldered in.

I made these on the CNC mill at work, broke rather too many tiny carbide drills doing it, but the holes for the handrails are in too. Not sure if I’ll cut the middle out of these before I fit them.

image.jpg

right, off on a jolly boys’ outing to the Fylde coast. Pix to follow…

cheers
Simon

AJC

Western Thunderer
I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for the extra long GW coaches, despite the obvious going round corner issues. Not having any references to hand I take it these vans had some sort of inset doors? Like the ‘concertina’ vehicles?

Adam

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Adam

Yes, flat sliding doors inset from the tumblehome. In a previous post you’ll see the door returns were etched as part of the main etch, but I could not envisage that being satisfactory, hence my full partitions.

simond

Western Thunderer
Outing to Fylde coast to visit the home of the EM model of Lime Street, courtesy of John Holden & the Lime Street crew.

Train from Folkestone to Blackpool on Friday, visit to Tower models (tempted but did not spend…) and a Tram ride to Lytham St Annes, where we found an excellent bar, “Number Fifteen”, thence to our apartment, then a cracking chippy for dinner, and a couple more pints before bed.

Saturday breakfast overlooking the beach, down to John’s place, and a truly special day looking at, and learning to operate what can only be described as a magnificent model. It is visually spectacular, atmospheric, and combines prototype fidelity with an electronic routing & control system which makes operation not only pretty much idiot proof, but thoroughly enjoyable too.

herewith a few photos:

F1B1E49C-940A-4296-8B8F-2017CB367184.jpeg

CE33B7B2-6930-493E-83E3-E5D2C653975D.jpeg
0FD72042-4C61-44DD-A342-A443B08CB0ED.jpeg

17B9E2DE-F2C2-44BB-8010-233C2A6C8F70.jpeg

869A010D-AEA1-4027-B826-E6AB5E67EAC8.jpeg

There are a great deal more photos of the visit on the RMWeb thread at Lime Street Station

from which I pinched one photo,

me, Jon Fitness, Noel, Les, John H, Andrew Green, David Morgan, Steve & Alan Kelsall

1647802568616.jpeg

and of course, you can see much much more about this fantastic model on that Thread

Thanks once again to John and the Lime Street crew for their generous hospitality and a truly memorable day!
atb
Simon

Last edited:

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I have seen it at a couple of shows, it didn't have the hotel then, but what was on the layout was absolutely amazing. Hope to get another chance to see it, since further progress has been made.

simond

Western Thunderer
I think my modification to the van will work out ok. Herewith two bulkheads tacked in place with the door balanced.

image.jpg

jury is out on whether to bother cutting out the middle of the bulkheads, it’ll be pretty dark in there…

(though following @Dog Star ’s recent post, the interior will be salmon pink…)

holes for handrails are already drilled.

I shall tack in the other bulkheads and see what I think.

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
Outing to Fylde coast to visit the home of the EM model of Lime Street, courtesy of John Holden & the Lime Street crew.

Train from Folkestone to Blackpool on Friday, visit to Tower models (tempted but did not spend…) and a Tram ride to Lytham St Annes, where we found an excellent bar, “Number Fifteen”, thence to our apartment, then a cracking chippy for dinner, and a couple more pints before bed.

Saturday breakfast overlooking the beach, down to John’s place, and a truly special day looking at, and learning to operate what can only be described as a magnificent model. It is visually spectacular, atmospheric, and combines prototype fidelity with an electronic routing & control system which makes operation not only pretty much idiot proof, but thoroughly enjoyable too.

herewith a few photos:

View attachment 158618

View attachment 158619
View attachment 158620

View attachment 158621

View attachment 158622

There are a great deal more photos of the visit on the RMWeb thread at Lime Street Station

from which I pinched one photo,

me, Jon Fitness, Noel, Les, John H, Andrew Green, David Morgan, Steve & Alan Kelsall

View attachment 158623

and of course, you can see much much more about this fantastic model on that Thread

Thanks once again to John and the Lime Street crew for their generous hospitality and a truly memorable day!
atb
Simon
Was indeed an excellent day there! Sadly I think RMWeb has temporarily "fallen over" as I can't access it.
Cheers all
JF

simond

Western Thunderer
Was indeed an excellent day there! Sadly I think RMWeb has temporarily "fallen over" as I can't access it.
Cheers all
JF

there is some news re the other place (which has been down all day) on faceplant - this from 9 hours ago.

“…
Following the recent issues we are now unfortunately in a disaster recovery position as a consequence of Dediserve's woeful performance and inability to address issues as they were being flagged up. This will take quite a bit of time time (please do not ask me if we're there yet at any point)* but plans are already underway and I will post further information when I have something more useful to add. For now please just give us the time and space to resolve this rather than just repeating that you can see a problem or suggesting something we will already be doing.
….”

I hope they can resolve the issues, there’s a lot of good stuff on there.

Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
I’ve said it before, but it is a big old beast…

image.jpg

it is sitting too high by about 1.5mm, and some (hopefully all) of that is obvious between the bogies and solebar. It certainly looks that way against the Dean coach beyond.

The brass roof was not Raymond’s favorite part of the kit, and I can see that it is likely to be rejected. I will put brass angle along the cant rails and then drop a roof between them, the roof would have been profile cut timber, but will now be a laser-cut assembly, covered in cartridge paper. Jury is out as to whether to build it as a carvel planked assembly on formers, or a series of laser cut “C” shapes. I think the planked assembly will be easier/less work.

the buffer beams don’t fit. We have the technology to fix or replace them.
There are no buffers in the kit, and my usual source, Graham, at NMRS, is sadly no more, so I’ll have to go looking.
The truss rods are hilarious. Even with the big bending bars, I do not know how to bend 2mm wide half-etched strip into straight, neat angle, so I think something from Metalsmiths (hopefully in stock here otherwise to be ordered) will be substituted.
Couplings will be Premier screw at one end, and probably Kadee at the other, TBC.

ATB
Simon

LarryG

Western Thunderer
You could reduce the depth of the solebars and lower the body on the bogies. I built a Blacksmith auto coach once and failed to spot the coach body sides were too deep..

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Larry,

there’s a large gap twixt bogies and solebars, so I’ll start there…

cheers
Simon