SimonD’s workbench

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Please Simon, can you confirm your words
the removal of PD Loco from its normal place at one end of the lounge

Because I have had disagreements about this with my nearest and dearest, and up until now I have always lost. Even though it's my house and she has her own place. I can sense a tiny bit of future leverage.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Not so much “what’s on my workbench?” As “what’s not….?”

a decorating project has required the removal of PD Loco from its normal place at one end of the lounge, and with it, just about everything else.

View attachment 181381

the chaos does give a couple of opportunities; With the backscene removed, I can access the rear of the coal stage, so the missing scenery can be attacked. More later, current state of play;

View attachment 181382

and the ground cover between the tt and coal stage is more accessible too - masking tape in place already!

View attachment 181383

there are some photo opportunities which are not normally accessible too

View attachment 181384

View attachment 181385

View attachment 181386

View attachment 181387

Would look superb with an O2, N and Beattie Well Tank inside, very Wadebridge.

simond

Western Thunderer
Richard, There is a plan.

It involves planning permission for an extension over our garage, and the necessary investment of course, but assuming it’s possible, it will give me a room big enough for a roundy-roundy in 7mm, of which PD Loco is but a modular part. There are some details on my thread on RMWeb. It will also solve the impasse in the garage, and give me room to play with motorbike fettling, and maybe, come retirement, I’ll get round to finishing my 3.5” gauge live steamer, a Rob Roy.

in the meantime, PD Loco occupies one end of our living room, my workbench hides below, and I have a “clean” desk for my laptop & books.

the downside, the living room can look like a workshop on a bad day, and needs vacuuming rather more frequently. I can’t use the Unimat or Proxxon mill if Madame is in the room, as they’re horribly noisy, and the airbrush (even using acrylics) is a non starter. It’s difficult to concentrate on occasions. Storage space is a challenge.

the upside, much modelling is pretty quiet most of the time and we can share the space most evenings, we might have the telly or music on, or she’ll be reading, we can chat, neither of us is much bothered by solvent smells, so painting and gluing, soldering and general kitbuilding is entirely possible, whilst enjoying one another’s company.

a neighbour asked her why “she put up with it?”. “Because it’s his space as much as mine, and if I banish him to the garage, I’ll never see him.” Can’t ask for more, really.

King Crab

Western Thunderer
Richard, There is a plan.

It involves planning permission for an extension over our garage, and the necessary investment of course, but assuming it’s possible, it will give me a room big enough for a roundy-roundy in 7mm, of which PD Loco is but a modular part. There are some details on my thread on RMWeb. It will also solve the impasse in the garage, and give me room to play with motorbike fettling, and maybe, come retirement, I’ll get round to finishing my 3.5” gauge live steamer, a Rob Roy.

in the meantime, PD Loco occupies one end of our living room, my workbench hides below, and I have a “clean” desk for my laptop & books.

the downside, the living room can look like a workshop on a bad day, and needs vacuuming rather more frequently. I can’t use the Unimat or Proxxon mill if Madame is in the room, as they’re horribly noisy, and the airbrush (even using acrylics) is a non starter. It’s difficult to concentrate on occasions. Storage space is a challenge.

the upside, much modelling is pretty quiet most of the time and we can share the space most evenings, we might have the telly or music on, or she’ll be reading, we can chat, neither of us is much bothered by solvent smells, so painting and gluing, soldering and general kitbuilding is entirely possible, whilst enjoying one another’s company.

a neighbour asked her why “she put up with it?”. “Because it’s his space as much as mine, and if I banish him to the garage, I’ll never see him.” Can’t ask for more, really.

Our neighbour has a BMW R80 Cafe racer in his living room.
Another has a Velocette.
However they are complete not projects on the go....

Peter

JimG

Western Thunderer
Having a motorbike in the lounge sounds a bit like a bird in a cage…

I rebuilt an LE Velocette in our big front lounge in our house in Scotland. It was an old mid-Victorian manse and it was being re-decorated one room every year as our budget allowed. The big lounge was awaiting its turn. It was the most comfortable rebuild I ever did, and hand re-paint as well. :)

Jim

simond

Western Thunderer
I purchased a second-hand bar feeder for one of our lathes at work from a bloke in Dewsbury, he had built an extension on his house, part of which was a glass-floored corridor. The corridor was also the ceiling to his bike store, in which his Dad’s Vincent Black Knight dozed, but he took it out for runs regularly.

I did rebuild a Mini gearbox on the kitchen table once. Mum was not impressed, but to be fair, I waited til after Saturday tea…

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I am going to stop arguing for the use of my living room. I might put a layout along one wall but only after it is complete ( = finally abandoned), is really nicely presented e.g. a dust cover and lighting, and probably in one of the smaller scales.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
We are currently planning a downsize move and I'm proposing a dual living room arrangement: a 'normal' one with no railway stuff, and a second one (probably in a sufficiently large second or third bedroom) with layout, workbench and associated shelving and materials, but also with a reasonable size sofa and TV, so SWMBO can choose either to join me when I'm working but still have a sofa and TV, or stay in the main living room. Life is all about negotiation...

NTNOCN Union Negotiations Sketch.jpg