Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Here is the same wall panel in CAD format.
image.jpg

This is a small room on a larger building. The company that does the cutting can supply 3mm MDF. This is useful and as a brick width is 2.62mm I think I can use the Gov's method of a comb join at the corners. I'm sure that I can sand down .38mm of the MDF to create a rebate and make a perfect join. I'm doing just this small building to test the idea before going ahead with the whole building.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
….The company that does the cutting can supply 3mm MDF. This is useful and as a brick width is 2.62mm I think I can use the Gov's method of a comb join at the corners. ...

Do you have a link to a description by the Gov on WT, Phil?

I've just tried searching for 'comb joint' and drawn a blank but would be very interested in learning more on how to do this successfully.

Tony

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Ok, first set of drawings are done and hopefully will be sent off tomorrow for cutting out. I've found a local laser cutter but not very powerful in Bury St Edmunds that I will try out test pieces on. I'm hoping York laser will do the final copies.

The test building is the left part of the bottom picture. If it's ok, I've designed it so that I can add the rest of the building to it rather than waste it.

KX.jpg
image.jpg

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
The local firm is replacing their laser cutter with a £30k all singing one. The result.

I've got one of these to play with :)

image.jpg

Been playing this morning with odd bits. Waiting for an order of Rowmark to arrive.

image.jpg

The settings I have to play with are laser power and speed. A combination of these is used to get the engraving/cutting level right.

The first go gave me a bubbling and very smelly mess :(

Power down, and speed up and I think I'm getting there.

Once the rowmark arrives, more play will proceed.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I've run out of stuff to cut and it won't really cut through anything thicker than 2/3mm as it's old. I tried using Perspex but it melts it and smells bad. So it's got to be rowmark.

Once the Rowmark arrives (cuts that brilliantly as demonstrated this morning) I will post up. The cuts are dependent on the power and speed settings so it's possible to engrave but I don't think it will be any good for engraving large areas. Line detail is about it. Just need to play around with it until I'm happy with the settings for the materials. I've still got a bit of mandatory training to complete so that may enlighten me once I'm done.

Mainly looking at doing buildings but if it's flat item and you can supply me the drawings in .dxg (or you can ask me to draw them up) I will have a go at cutting/engraving them for you.

I think it's an a1 sized bed so can do quite large items but also can use odds and ends too. I can place the item to be cut under the laser and do a dummy run. If it's fits then I can cut in anger.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
very impressive Phil, hope that size of it does not mean a house move is also on the cards:eek: I'm looking forward to more progress reports.

cheers

Mike

adrian

Flying Squad
The settings I have to play with are laser power and speed. A combination of these is used to get the engraving/cutting level right.

Power down, and speed up and I think I'm getting there.
Nice toy to play with - I'd be interested to hear about the power and speed settings you use. I have access to a FAB lab in Manchester where I can use one but I can only book 1hr slots. So any recommendations on settings would be appreciated so I don't waste my allotted hour finding out what works.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Happy to share the settings Adrian but not sure they will be necessarily any use for your machine.

I will be happy to cut any of your designs though.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
What about coach &/or loco windows, Phil ? :thumbs:

Steve :cool:
It would be ok to cut out the apertures but the detail would need an etch I would think. If you have a coach side and want the windows cut out then yes it would do it. Might be a help with big coach conversions when combined with window etches.