Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
The mock up looks good with the brick paper.

I've been looking at buildings recently and have been put off by the 'scale' mortar joints in embossed or injected plastic sheets. I'm sure if these are scaled up to 12" to 1' you would be able to put your fist in them and climb them without ropes :eek:.

The laser cut sheets look good and how deep are the mortar joints? The sheets also look easier to line up the cuts and joints to ensure the bricks are carried around corners properly.

Are O scale laser cut brick sheets available in the UK 'off the shelf' as they appear to be in the US?

David

The mortar courses are not that deep, less than a 1mm. Once painted I think they look ok. I've read that some people fill the mortar with polyfiller. Something I will try.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Very impressive I am looking for the base of a signal cabin for WL. I have no drawings but as near as dammit is ok with me as it's gone to the great builders rubble pile in the sky.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very impressive I am looking for the base of a signal cabin for WL. I have no drawings but as near as dammit is ok with me as it's gone to the great builders rubble pile in the sky.

Where is 'WL' ?

I'm guessing it'll be a standard post war LMR type box, if so I have drawings for LMR Type 5 and more common Type 15 signal boxes if they're any help.

Addendum, ahh Watery Lane, all brick Type 13 (ARP) by the look of things, unless there's another box at Watery Lane?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roger_sutcliffe/5542711625/

Don't have drawings for the Type 13 I'm afraid.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Thinking that Ploffy's signal box was traditional I bashed up a window and arch template...

SignalBox Window.pngimage.jpg
LBSC Type 3 Box Window

Ill save it for a another project.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer

You can guess :)

I'm using 1mm Rowmark for windows and 2mm MDF for walls. I've taken delivery of several 8x4 sheets of the stuff today!

I do international postage ;) :thumbs:

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Ref the painted samples Phil posted a few days ago.

At Love Lane we have been playing around with brick and mortar colours and effects for a few weeks. Up to now we have been using embossed plastic sheet which Peter Hunt prefers but last Wednesday when Phil brought the sample pieces illustrated above along, we have managed to convert him. If Phil can resolve the issue of cutting corners so the brick courses bond accurately we will be using brick detail laser engraved into the MDF surface.

For the station and other buildings at Love Lane we need a typical London red brick and in of those strokes of luck that don't happen often enough, I tried one of the colours from the Lifecolor Rust & Dust set (acrylics). The number is UA703 but it appears difficult to buy separately from the set though I managed to find a couple of pots on line last week. That is the colour on the brick arch. The yellow brick is IIRC burnt umber acrylic in a tube from the local Sudbury art shop. The darker section (an experiment to get the colour for the platform faces) has a wash of Modelmates oil brown over it.

In both cases the mortar is Modelmates Brick Joint Filler, a wash which is painted over the whole job and then, as it is water based, washed off the surface. As you can see from these quick experiments we have managed to wash it out of the joint lines in places as well. In future the plan is to leave the brick colour a week before putting anything over it and leaving the brick joint filler at least an hour before washing off.

We have been trying a lot of the Modelmates effects as I was given some samples by the proprietor, Alan Taylor, a fellow glider pilot. I'll post a few photos later in the week of some of the weathering we have done using them. For those who like wintry scenes, they do an aerosol of "snow effect" which actually sprays a wax. You can build up snowdrifts (but don't let your grandchildren near it, it's a bugger to get out of detail).

Phil and I will keep experimenting but we hope to have the Love Lane buildings on the go in the next few weeks.

John

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Looking good.

I haven't seen the prototype but it is uncommon for all the brickwork to be Flemish bond. English bond (alternating courses of headers and stretchers) was far more common for engineering works like this, with stretcher bond or English garden wall bond for infill brickwork.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I've been asked if I can do a traditional railway era warehouse so having had a look on the net I found one that I like the look of and whose features are mainly coloured brick and pattern.

image.jpg

This particular building lends itself quite well to be built in modular sections. The vertical joins can be hidden with drain pipe detail and the horizontal join should be near invisible. So that in mind I've drawn up a section to see how it looked.

image.jpg

The brickwork is quite complicated and I'm not sure I've quite got all the course detail right. I'll print this out to see how it looks and adjust it.

image.jpg

This will be a triple layer of 2mm MDF front face, 2mm MDF middle layer to hold window detail and lastly a third layer of 2mm MDF/ 2mm PLY for the building structure.

alcazar

This is all looking good to me....when I get home I'm starting off a diorama of the outside of the Crimpsall shops on the Plant, and will be looking to get the walls and windows laser cut.