SimonD’s workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
Looks great, so some tiny wire handles then?

Michael

i suspect not, they’ll be entirely invisible. Just drawn up a few fitting benches and a batch of office chairs.

need to do a lathe (how big would a depot lathe be? ) & a big pillar drill. What else? Milling machine?

we’re talking impressions through the roof lights and windows…

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks Michael,

Indeed. That lovely beast is probably a bit big for a little depot on the Welsh coast! I had in mind that a bit of local fixing and fettling might be done, the odd valve seat, bearing, etc, so I was more thinking in the 10” size range than 10’ :).

anything bigger would be on the next train to Oswestry, Shrewsbury, Wolverhampton or Swindon.

this is a of course the difficulty with “might-have-beens”, it’s more a case of plausibility than fidelity.

cheers
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Not sure it was worth the effort, but it’s a bit of fun…

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

needs some blotters etc on the desks.

I have almost no idea what the offices of a shed might have looked like, there seems to be very little in the way of images, but I’d like to think this is at least, plausible.

atb
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks guys,

the office did have a chimney, but not where you’d expect. A stove or two might be a good idea, otherwise, radiators should be an easy addition, notice boards and calendars too.

monitors, mmm, mobile phone? An iphone is paper thin in 7mm! I suppose a Gordon Gekko one might be visible!

AndyB

Western Thunderer
Simon - There are a couple of pictures in 'Rowsley - A Rural Railway Centre' (page 22, pub Midland Railway Society) showing the inside of the loco shed control office at Rowsley in the 1940's. Different region / company, but better than pure imagination!
Unfortunately I don't have a working scanner at present, but I can try to get a snap on my phone later today.

Andy

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon, the offices look great. Did you make the light shades? The bulbs are spot on, just giving the right amount of light in my opinion.

Maybe a tea urn, a typewriter, litter bin and a few ashtrays adorning the tables…..

Martyn.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I don't recall seeing any views of the general office space, but a few photos of the interior of Superintendents' offices have appeared in print - a bit like a classic Victorian living room, with the walls full of framed portraits of locomotives and all available desk / table space occupied by bits of failed loco components and models.
Enough to keep you busy for a month or so!

simond

Western Thunderer
Thanks all, lots to do!

Martyn,
the lights came in a box of 50 with resistors, I'm sure they were eBay or Amazon.
Unfortunately, they have cool white rather than warm white LEDs
I used the same ones in the shed too. Just looked, can't find a link, If I do, I'll post it. From memory they were about £20 for 50.

cheers
Simon

AndyB

Western Thunderer
2 pictures - copyright Rowsley Association - reproduced for educational purposes:Rowsley Office 2.jpg
Rowsley Office 1.jpg

Is there a way to change orientation when uploading?

And for a laugh or juxtaposition? - one desk kitted out with a laptop, mobile phone and a couple of monitors :)
The thing on the right of the second picture does look surprising laptop-like......

Andy

Last edited: