7mm The Derby Line - Rolling Stock

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Too many other house and garden jobs - but as the weather is so crap, I've managed the odd hour to get the inside motion fitted. It's a bit scruffy, so I need to clean up some more. The weighshaft and the bearings are tapped so it will be held in place with grub screws so that the motion can be taken out. The arm to the reversing rod is between the bearing and the frames - that will go in later. I'm assuming forward gear is when the valve rod is using the lower part of the expansion link.. Some of it is quite representational, the casting that includes the valve guides is a lot more complex in real life. That horrible screw for the pony truck will go, I mounted the nut underneath the stretcher, so the screw will go in from underneath.
IMG_0476.JPG

Now the brake gear is fitted, the section under the motion is fixed in place with grub screws to allow the inside motion to be fitted/removed... I replaced some of the white metal brake fitting with home made fabrications. The cylinders are glued on, but the valve chest is held in place with screws... I like to be able to take things apart!
IMG_0478.JPG

I seem to be going to a lot of trouble for what will be just a working loco on the layout, but I enjoy the challenge of adding as much practical detail as I can..

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
I'm pretty sure forward gear uses the top portion of the expansion links (Handbook for Locomotive Engine-men). Sorry.
Dave.

Can't comment on this particular sub-class, but what you say Dave is true if the gear is "Open rods" (ie increasing lead towards mid-gear) but the opposite is true if it is "Crossed rods" (ie decreasing lead towards mid-gear). Almost all locos used open rods as increasing lead at higher speeds - ie at shorter cut-offs - has significant benefits. But then Gorton did not know a lot about valve gear design which is why (eg) the Black Pigs burnt so much coal!

Great work tony!

Best wishes,
Howard

PS just found the drawing ... yes the top rod is fore gear.